[HowTo}Print to a Windows Shared printer

Satcomer

In Geostationary Orbit
Well in 10.5.x & 10.6.x Use these directions by Camotec:

Camotec said:
Prerequisites: 1. your windows PC with the printer on it needs to have an admin account on it with a single word no spaces. (preferred unix) 2. your printer sharename is a single word (ie. Canon iP4300 should be just ip4300).

Now follow the below steps:

1. Open your system preferences > Open Print & Fax
2. Click + to add a printer.
3. Right-click on the Toolbar at the top and select "Customise Toolbar..."
4. Drag the "Advanced" icon to the toolbar & select "Done"
5. Click the "Advanced" icon
6. Select "Windows" from the "Type:" drop down menu
7. In the "URL:" textbox type the location of your windows printer in the format below (use the format depending on whether your Windows PC sharing the Printer has a password or not):
smb://usernameassword@ipaddress/printersharename <- Print Server does have a password
smb://username@ipaddress/printersharename <- Print Server does NOT have a password
(eg. smb://barney@125.254.95.101/ip4300)
8. Enter a Name and Location. (Human Friendly Names with Spaces are allowed)
9. Now select the appropriate driver and then click "Add"
10. Try printing somthing and then it will ask for a username and password of your windows server. Type and username and then the password and then add this to your keychain and click OK.

And there you go. Printing in OSX 10.5

Hello,
I'm trying to configure my printer over a Windows-wireless network. After following the instructions, when I try to print a document, the printer utility shows:

Session setup failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER

The printer is a HP Photosmart 4180, shared in windows, I changed its name to HP4180 so it would be recognizable.

I tried disabling Windows firewall, no good.
I can connect to Windows file system without a problem using the computer's IP/username.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back