[HOWTO] Resolve OS x imac crashes

DenisJB

Registered
I am a new user (Windows convert) of an iMAC (flat screen) recently upgraded to JAGUAR. My system "hangs" regularly, showing a splash screen telling me I need to retart my computer. This may happen twice a day. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Denis

That splash screen telling in all languages to restart your mac is a kernel panic. You can find it in /Library or ~/Library somewhere - look for a file called panic.log in your finder (I can't find the file on mine - as I haven't had any since the clean install).

Did you upgrade with an archive and install or was it a clean install of 10.2? How recently you got your Mac?

Kernel panics can be analyzed from that panic.log file (at least the Apple engineers can do that). 2 a day is too much - it could maybe be a hardware issue, but probably a clean install could resolve it. Well - but first some more details please? At least those few above. :)

There are also plenty of threads about the topic around here, a search for them on board can give good results.

Maybe even fixing teh permissions could help, or a good disk utility.

:)

Welcome on board and to the Mac world! ;)
I moved the thread to the System board, it fits here better.

G.

Many thanks for your help. I'll try your suggestions. I bought the Mac last spring. The Jaguar install was complete with new purchased CDs. Then, I took the mac to a dealer for a different investigation (WORD X incredibly slow - not resolved!!) and he "upgraded" my OS - I have no details of how. The problem has existed since then.

Thanks,

Denis

Sounds like the doofus dealer might have done a Jaguar overlay install (rebuilt the system over the top of your current, or a 10.1.x to 10.2 upgrade) - both of which tend to end up poorly.
My first suggestion would be to reboot off the first of the Jag install CDs, and run the Disc Utility off the install disc (when the OSX installer comes up, go up to the top left menu bar menu and select Disc Utility). Firstly, select your boot volume, and run disc repair; repeat until no problems are reported. Then run permissions repair, repeat until no issues reported. Reboot off your (hopefully) fixed drive.

Also, make sure you have the Office updater. I hear it improved performance a lot.

If all else fails, might be time for a fresh install of Jaguar (archive and install works, in truth).

Good Luck

Have you ran the 10.2.4 Combo Updater? Try this and see if you still get the panics. I have seen and heard many users fixing a lot of problems by using the Combo update as opposed to the incrimental update. The download is around 80MB so if you don't have a high speed connection you may want to try and have a friend or someone else to download it for you and burn it to a CD.

Ok, I'm supposed to get Jag on next Monday (it's a week late already :mad: ).

So far I've heard way too much around here about "10.2.4 ... kernel panic" and I don't like that very much.

Some peolpe have mentioned running this 10.2.4 combo updater after updating to 10.2.4, and some other things I don't quite yet follow.

If I want to prevent my computer crashing when I what do I have to do?

(I'm already planning to reformat and cleanly install 10.2, don't worry about that...no 10.1 -> 10.2 updater nonsense.)

Back