[HOWTO] - Setup FTP access on your OSX machine.

swizcore

Help Guide Coordinator
This is actually quite simple due to OSX's GUI for creating users and turning on FTP access. Follow along and marvel at the simplicity of it all...

1. Open "System preferences"
2. Click on "Users"
3. Create a new user ( you may create either a specific user or a generic one for many people to have access to)- here I will create a user account which will be accessed by a specific person.
Username-johnny
Password- socko123
Do not give them administrative access unless you wish to flirt with disaster.
4. Next click on "sharing" in system preferences.
5. Click on "allow FTP access"
6. Now just give "johnny" your computers IP address (located at the bottoom of the sharing pane in "system Preferences") and let him know the username and password you set his user account up with.
7. Johnny can now access your system via any FTP protocol. But with this setup he only has access to his user directory-which should be fine for most users just wanting to share files.

Of course with Firewalls involved there may additional steps to account for but this will get you going nicely otherwise. If you are dealing with Firewall issues please respond and we will address the Firewall issues.

I'm on a lan, my local ip on the network:

the ip i get when i go to www.ipaddress.net is:

how do i get people who connect to: 216.160.162.246, routed to my computer at: 10.0.0.2

sorry i don't know any terms or anything more technical, just got into this ftp stuff..

thanx

I wonder how exactly one could do that via airport network. (since the laptop are assigned different IP than what is assigned on the base station). It'll be sort of hopping around.

Schehan

>>how do i get people who connect to: 216.160.162.246, routed to my computer at: 10.0.0.2

Well, it looks like you can not easily do that, the reason is 10.x.x.x is a private address space. This means it will not be routed in the internet. By the looks of things 216.160.162.246 would be your Firewall/cable-DSL router/gateway address. The only way you would be able to set it up so that someone could access your machine via the internet is if your firewall/router/gateway supports port level routing. IE anything that is inbound FTP (ports 21-22) or telnet (port 23) etc... would be routed to your computer.

There are a few problems with this, anything that is incoming by IP/UDP port number will be routed to that machine and that machine only. The only way you could get around that is to have your ISP issue you a second IP address. Not all ISP's will let you and not all NAT systems support it.

Don@digits-its.com
iMac G4 15" 700 / 256 (ask U.h P.arcel S.omewhere what happened to my extra RAM...)

This brings me to the question I have, I knew the answer last week but for whatever reason I just can think of it now (it might be the lack of sleep and the hour) Anonymous FTP sites, how do I create one with a "drop box"

Thanks,
don@digits-its.com
iMac 15" 700Mhz 256MB (should be more....)
:eek:

I can't open the Sharing panel. Every time I try to do it, it quits System Preferences and says "The application System Preferences has unexpectedly quit".

I think this began when I downloaded Security Update 2002-08-23 from Software Update.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? It's frustrating.

How does apple remote desktop differ from what you described?

what does ARD do? How does it work? how can I set it up? Do I need it?

My understanding is that apple remote desktop allows me to get on a workstation and see their desktop/screen like im actually sitting in front of their puter! ?

am I wrong/right? neither?

thanks. :)

Wich FTP programs do you guys suggest using ?? I'm mainly just trying to find somthing for transfering big files over the net.

What types of speed can i expect to get using one of these programs? Both computers are G4's,Os x, on cable......Not sure if that matters....Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks again...

I like fetch. Works for me. used it for years. Its not real fancy, but get the job done. version 4.0.2 is current I beleive. its drag and drop from the finder, which is pretty cool. just drag file from the finder over to the fetch window. easy.

Once i have set up a user and a password, does the user have to use the same ftp program i am???

Thanks in advance...

Sorry for the confusion, i am trying to allow my friend with another G4, to get into my machine over the net, to get rather big audio files. I was told the best way to do this is by an ftp protocol.

Any more help would be appreciated.....
Thanks

Sorry for the confusion, i am trying to allow my friend with another G4, to get into my machine over the net, to get rather big audio files. I was told the best way to do this is by an ftp protocol.
------------

Piece of cake... if your both using osX, real easy.... simply go to system prefs on your machine, and create a user (under accounts, choose new user)..... give him a name and password. (let him know what they both are).

Give him your IP address.... of your mac. this can be found under the network panel on your mac.

from the OsX finder, he can choose: "connect to server" under the go menu.

He should be able to mount YOUR harddrive on his mac... anything you put in the public folder will be available for him to download...

of course, you can set permissions and such for him to do more, to see everything on your mac... if you choose to do so.

hope this helps.

Thanks alot bro... Seems Im doing everything correctly. I didnt know he could pick "connect to server" in the finder, from Go. That seems easy enough. I was told i needed to use an ftp program. So this will be it then? I dont need to use fetch?

What do you suppose would be the speed i could expect from doing this through the finder?? I will be trading large audio files. Just curious......

Thanks again for the help

I was told i needed to use an ftp program. So this will be it then? I dont need to use fetch?

What do you suppose would be the speed i could expect from doing this through the finder?? I will be trading large audio files. Just curious......
---

I only use fetch when I upload my web pages to my hosting server.... ive got a buddy, and him and I swap files using the osX finder. And the go>connect to server command....

speed. Now thats another issue... he and I both use cable..... and doing this file transfer over the net isnt a speed demon by any means.... if we had T1 lines im sure it would rock. with cable connected via ethernet, its sometimes a tad slow.... depends on what time of day or night we transfer the file.

If your sending something real big, send it at night while your in bed..... would be faster than say during peak hours during the day. :)

good luck

Thanks for the info, i should be good to go. What about getting into my machine from lets say a pc somwhere else? How would i go about this???

Thanks again,

getting into your mac from a pee cee?

there are several programs that allow that. never used them though. dave I beleive is one. ? (someone correct me if im wrong)... another is timbutu..... they allow macs to be connected to pee cee networks and printers.

Back