I am an adidot and I need serious help!

ckim111

Registered
I set myself up as the administrator on my mac when I first purchased it.. However, I completely forgot my password since I have not used it in months. Please not that I am not required to login to the computer at bootup.. It only prompts me for my password when I am trying to install programs, etc..

I tried calling apple help desk and they told me to reinstall mac os x. Well I can't even do that because when I try to install anything it asks for my password again. Is there anything that I can do to create a new password, or to even create a new admin account? I don't want to have to reinstall mac os x since I have alot of files that I would like to keep on my computer.. I am a big mac newbie, and any DETAILED instructions would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!!

You can boot up to the OSX install CD, and choose reset password from the menu! I tape a little Post-it note with my password stuff underneath my computer (i'm the only user) just to cover this kind of situation.

ok please tell me how i can boot up from the osx install cd.. and is the reset password listed under the apple icon? i know i am asking dumb questions.. i don't really know much about computers, especially macs in general.. again thank you for your help.

Put the CD in, restart holding the C key down. When booted, don't do anything on the installer window. Look under the menus at the Top, you'll see Reset Password.

Originally posted by ckim111
ok please tell me how i can boot up from the osx install cd..

Put the "Mac OS X Install" disc into your computer and choose restart from the Apple Menu. While your computer is starting up, hold down the C key until you can tell for sure that it is booting off of the CD.

The Reset password utility is somewhere up in the menus, it's been a while and I can't remember exactly where. Maybe someone else does. It's not too hard to find though I think.

-edit-
Guess I was too slow. :)

Once you have the password reset, you should be able to log into OSX normally and change the user name in System Preferences/Users.

Back