I am confused!

BillWaxman

Registered
Not too surprisingly, I am confused by the conflicting sounding articles I find about the PowerMac G5 1.6 GHZ computer I just received from a friend as a gift. OS X Leopard, latest version is installed and runs beautifully. I have had a Mac G3 previously, used for video editing, and liked it until it died on me, probably through user error by trying to add memory and hard drives of the wrong kind. Pow, zowie, smoke erupted releasing the genuine operating system and it went for re-cycling.

So, I am a Windows XP Pro guy but think I might be able to run same on the Mac in order to use some of my programs on it. Is that even possible given the computer I have?

Finally, I am having fits adding my Kodak AiO 5100 to run (as it does wirelessly from my HP A350N desktop PC) it will run fine as a stand-alone, connected to the Mac or wirelessly from the PC but not both as there is only one "genuine" USB 2.0 printer input on the rear but two regular USB 2.0 connections on the front. I haven't been able to work the magic on it yet. Any ideas?

Long winded, I know, and future questions will be more brief.

Thanks, forum, in advance for what I know will be good adivce.

Bill Waxman

In order to run your Windows apps on your Mac, you need Microsoft's Virtual PC 7. It will be painfully slow because it is an emulator.

As for your Windows-connected printer, there are already threads on this forum too many to count about printing to a Windows-shared printer. A simple search will reveal them. You may also access the Finder Help menu.

Not too surprisingly, I am confused by the conflicting sounding articles I find about the PowerMac G5 1.6 GHZ computer I just received from a friend as a gift. OS X Leopard, latest version is installed and runs beautifully. I have had a Mac G3 previously, used for video editing, and liked it until it died on me, probably through user error by trying to add memory and hard drives of the wrong kind. Pow, zowie, smoke erupted releasing the genuine operating system and it went for re-cycling.

So, I am a Windows XP Pro guy but think I might be able to run same on the Mac in order to use some of my programs on it. Is that even possible given the computer I have?

Finally, I am having fits adding my Kodak AiO 5100 to run (as it does wirelessly from my HP A350N desktop PC) it will run fine as a stand-alone, connected to the Mac or wirelessly from the PC but not both as there is only one "genuine" USB 2.0 printer input on the rear but two regular USB 2.0 connections on the front. I haven't been able to work the magic on it yet. Any ideas?

Long winded, I know, and future questions will be more brief.

Thanks, forum, in advance for what I know will be good adivce.

Bill Waxman

To all who responded directly, my thanks. I managed to finally absorb the obvious fact that I do not have an Intel based Mac, therefore, it is not possible to run Windows XP Pro or otherwise on my machine without a bunch of molasses like slowdowns through emulation programs. Ugh! I have discovered a way (if anyone would really want to) run my Macintosh G5 from my Toshiba laptop. The solution is simple, install "LogMeIn" on each computer and with password protection and encryption, you will be able to (as I am) to run your Mac on any internet connected computer in the world. Yup, even from Berlin, Germany. "How 'bout them apples?"

Bill Waxman

Back