I am having trouble with my Mac can someone help me?!!

scifinutapril

Registered
I have just recieived from a friend a Mac computer. It had Mac OS X on it and I was thrilled. Then I decided to download Quicktime 7 off the net and I tried to use it to look at a movie clip. Instantly I had a problem. I could'nt shut down the program so I shut off the computer. That's when all my troubles started. I called my friend and she told me what I should do. I tried it all, but to no avail. So she sent me the disks to reload the Mac OS X system. I tried to install the program, but kept having an error in the Asian language. After several attempts I got the Asian languages to load, then I had trouble with the media package. After another few attempts I got all to load. Then I started experiencing trouble with future upgrades, freezing of programs and other wierd stuff. So I decided to redo the Mac OS X. I had a lot of trouble and I could'nt get the install to work. Then I started getting a boot strap error and nothing worked after that. I remembered I had OS 9 on disk for an old computer and it worked, but now I can't get my printer to work because it is not 9.1 or higher.

Take the (unknown model) Mac, the (unknown version) MacOS X installation disc(s) (CDs / DVD), and your (unknown manufacturer and model) printer - to a nearby Mac knowledgeable repair shop or consultant.

Ask for an 'Erase and Install' (after a backup, if needed, is performed) installation, with all of the 'Customize' features [applications, fonts, languages, and printer drivers] to be installed.

If it is Panther, MacOS X 10.3, that is being installed, then you must request for the 'MacOS X 10.3.9 update combo' to also be installed, if you absolutely want QuickTime 7 to also be installed.

Before requesting the installation of QuickTime 7, review a number of posts at macosx.com, macintouch.com, macfixit.com, etc.

I have tried erase and install and I still come up with a boot strap error; unknown error. after that comes up it's all over. The error occurs when I click on the destination. Then I try to complete the process and a slew of other errors come up. Yes, I have Panther 10.3.2. I appreciate the input. I am tapped for funds right now and can't pay someone to fix the problem.

On certain computers 10.3 can be very touchy on the amout of ram installed. I had the same problem. The solution that I found in Apple Support is to simply remove all the ram but what is necessary for start-up and try the install from there. If installation is good and all updates complete then simply put the extra ram back in and your good to go.
Worked for me.

Back