I bought a Mighty Mouse

I thought I'd made an expensive mistake at first and had the same finger cramps, but a few months and I'd forgotten the problem ever existed - until you posted this!!

I think the main thing I did was to disable the side buttons. I was always triggering something with them by mistake. Now I hold the mouse straighter with my fourth finger alongside and ahead of the side button and my thumb a bit behind the other side button, and it's fine.

I also had a problem with the cursor jumping to the corners. A change of mousemat (or no mat at all) sorted it out. I think it has problems working on screen printed (lots of dots) surfaces.

I love my mighty mouse. I love the fact i dont have to crtl-click. because that is pretty annoying sometimes. one of the best accessories that i have boughten.

my mighty mouse lasted 5 hours. the clincher was the fact that on my current mouse (a playfully-coloured ms optical wireless), and with any other third part mouse i can expose all windows with the middle mouse button to drag and drop a file across apps. not with the mighty mouse.

also when i'm tired, i lean on the mouse, sort of. eventually this makes it click, as the whole thing is a button. this makes crazy things happen, and was a reason i got a 3rd party mouse in the first place.

plus it's got a wire attached.

It took some time to get used to my Mighty Mouse. Essential it is all habits. I love the mouse now, and using it has become one of new habits.

I've had my MM for a while, I honestly don't remember the last time I used it. It's not a terrible mouse, but it doesn't compare at all to my Logitech MX518.

However, I just took huge plunge on another interesting input device after reading the ars review.

It costs a lot. Too much even, but for some reason I really wanted to try this out. I can never find a comfortable sitting position when I am computing, and when I spend an average 10+ hours a day infront of a computer it really could make a difference if I could sit comfortably while using my computer. I also hate moving my hand from the keyboard to the mouse, I typically try and use the keyboard as much as possible, but a lot of times it is a lot quicker to just use a mouse.

Anyways, I have this vision of me sitting at work programming with my feet on the desk.

It's kind of gross how much money I have spent on input devices alone. At the same time though, it does significantly impact the computing experience.
/threadjack

I LOVE the scrolly ball and HATE the side clicking. Completely useless side clicking. Could not have been designed worse if they had put the button underneath the mouse.

In the end, I gave it up because I really have become used to five (properly placed) buttons.

Also, I had a small bit of an issue on right clicks, but not too bad. My coworked had a lot of right click issues, so he stopped using it as well. I think it was just his big hands, but either way, it didn't work out. We both love the scrolly wheel though.

Here's hoping for a better MM2.

HateEternal said:
However, I just took huge plunge on another interesting input device after reading the ars review.
/threadjack
I wonder if you'll get tired of it before you finish learning how to use it.

It may require 30-60 hours of use to achieve typing speeds of 30-60 words per minute. The ability to type quickly and comfortably away from a desk, however, is worth the effort.

simbalala said:
I wonder if you'll get tired of it before you finish learning how to use it.

This thought had crossed my mind. However, I spend a lot time in font of the computer, i mean a lot. Some days it's like 8 hours at work then another 8 when I get home. Last Friday after working a full day (7:30 - 4:30) I stayed up till around 3:00 working on something at home. I don't plan on using this at work until I get efficient with it, but I have plenty of time at home where I am working on something, or chatting, that isn't mission critical.

yea, the fine-scrolling abilities is enough to sell it to me. Going back to those clunky scroll wheels that jumps a half-page at a time is horrible.

Anyone heard about the hardware easter egg where the mighty mouse's red glow underneith projects the image of an actual mouse on the desk.

Not sure if just a coincidence, but I've tried it on mine and it looks an awful lot like a mouse to me.

Interesting....I thought I would try to do that with my Apple Bluetooth Wireless Mouse. Scared that crap out of me in this dark room right now....looks like some freaky skull. :confused:

lol, I like that description, clunky scrollers that jump half a page. Apparently setting up a mouse is out of the question :p Regardless, enjoy your mouse :)

Jason said:
lol, I like that description, clunky scrollers that jump half a page. Apparently setting up a mouse is out of the question :p Regardless, enjoy your mouse :)

yea, I know yo ucan set it up, but the problem isn'tthe settings, it's the hardware. The wheel doesn't fluidly spin, it "clicks" large chunks at a time. So, if you change the settings so that it only jumps a few pixels at a time, you have to spin the wheel around 20 times to scroll any great distance.

Newer mice, like the ones Major Burns describes, are much better. Mine is a 5-year-old Logitech.

I've found that the drivers included with mice often don't allow for a really broad selection of settings.
USB Overdrive, http://usboverdrive.com, a universal driver for virtually all mice, has an incredible range of settings; one can fine tune settings in a way not possible with most mouse drivers.
I use it, exclusively, for my 5 mice. It's superior to the drivers which came with any of them. I like to change mice according to my mood and don't need 5 different drivers installed. USB Overdrive efficiently takes care of them all.

personally, when apple came out with the mighty mouse, i was real excited, but when i went to an apple store to play with it, i was extremely disappointed. the shell still acts as one button, and when you click on the left or the right, or even the middle for gods sake, it feels as if you're using the old pro mouse..the whole thing clicks down and you're not quite sure if you got the right button until you see the contextual menu or expose (or anything else you set it to do..which isnt much as its functionality in programmability of the buttons is highly limited). if you're looking for a multifunctional mouse, i'd highly recommend a logitech product. i bought an mx700 two years ago, and when it didn't hold a charge anymore, i called in to get a replacement. not only were they happy to send me a new product free of charge, but they told me they dont make the mx700 anymore so theyd send me an mx1000 instead. their customer support is unbelievable and their mice are outstanding...

price-wise..if youre already goign to be spending at least $50 for an optical mouse with ~ 2 or 3 buttons, go ahead and spend some $20-$30 more for something thats 5x as powerful such as the mx1000, which has 8 buttons, a battery meter, and is laser powered, not optical (i think 10x the precision or something..works on surfaces optical doesnt because it has a different reflection mechanism).

anyway, didn't mean to burst your bubble just thought id give my two cents

Personally, I think you need to give it time. I was disappointed when I first got it, but when you get the hang of it, it really is fantatstic. It's like OS X -- if you try and use OS X like windows you will find it frustrating an unintuitive. You have to leave expectations at the door.

When are they gonna release a bluetooth mighty mouse? that;s all I have to say!

I agree, the mighty mouse takes time to get used to. I am sure their are better ones to purchase. I would say it took me about a week or more to get used to and enjoy it. A scroll wheel mouse just makes sense for a 15' PB.
I had a Microsoft Intellimouse or something, it was not bad, except the mouse was large and felt awkward in my hand.

Back