i bought MPEG 2, installed it, but still the mpg video won't open

iamtheasphalt

Registered
So I bought MPEG 2 from mac, installed it, restarted the computer, but I still cannot watch the mpg movie. I get an error message saying I don't have the right software.

I bought my imac only in January so there shouldn't be an incompatibility!

I am new to mac. Is there something obvious I should be doing.

Thank you for your reply.

So I bought MPEG 2 from mac, installed it, restarted the computer, but I still cannot watch the mpg movie. ...
The MPEG 2 Playback Component is for MPEG-2 video. Most video with the .mpg extension is encoded using the older MPEG-1 encoder. The Perian suite recommended by Satcomer includes a MPEG-1 codec.

Thank you Satcomer and MisterMe.
Here is the problem: I had stuff to do since I bought and downloaded the MPEG-2, so I could not respond to you until now. It has been days, and now, I can't find MPEG-2 anywhere on my computer, not on recent downloads, not anywhere. I am a total Mac amateur - do you know where it is?

I downloaded Perian as you suggested. However, the mpg file plays without any sound.

Thanks again.

It sounds like you did never actually installed the MPEG-2 codec. Did you download and install the Perian codec suite?

It sounds like you did never actually installed the MPEG-2 codec. Did you download and install the Perian codec suite?

I wondered about that. The Snow Leopard upgrade ruined/removed my QuickTime 7.6.X. The USELESS new QuickTime would not play video that required the Mpeg-2. Not a "big deal" but I like to edit snippets of video.

After complaining to :)--since I had the "Pro" of QuickTime--reason to save your receipts . . . and downloads--I received fresh copies. Long, long story short, I had to forcibly reload my QT Pro 7.6--eventually updated to 7.6.6 . . . since the updater kept saying "You have QT X! You should be happy! Why are you not happy? Are you . . . 'Unmutual?!!'"--with the shareware Pacifist. Same with the mpeg-2 codec. I used the shareware Pacifist to "force in" the updates and the codec.

That was just after the release of SL . . . no problems since.

Using Google-Fu [Tm.--Ed.] it appears that Lion does not come with QT 7.6.6. So one will need to obtain that. It may require a Pro upgrade--this I do not know since I upgraded mine WAAAAAAAY back in the days of OS 9!
exclamation.gif

Apple claims you do not need QT 7.6.6 OR the mpeg-2 because of QTX, but that is not my experience. AND after talking with Apple Support on it, the Twinkie admitted that it was strange if you did not "need it" why would they keep selling it . . . only to eventually murmur that, "yeah, you might actually need it." One of those "but most customers do not!"

Still more searching brought some interesting information from a free "Stream Clip" site:

Squared5

Their discussion of SL is exactly what happened when I upgraded--SL over-wrote my mpeg-2.

I do not have that product, so I cannot comment on whether or not it will help but in searches a few users suggested it. I would suggest, as always, clone your drive, then boot off you clone, then try it. "Mess with clones!" I always say! It is not like they are real humans, even if they are played by Keira Knightley [Get on with it!--Ed.] Right, if it does not work on your clone, you have not lost anything but time . . . which is, of course, a different movie.

Hope some of this helps!

Another reason I have not upgraded to Lion
brood.gif

--J.D.

Last edited:
Back