I don't think this is suppose to happen!

cbrooks3

Mac Nerd
I backed all my files up to an external HD and did a clean install of OS X.3. Everything works fine, and one thing better than expected! I plugged the video adapter into my G4 iBook and I have dual display now!! No, not video mirroring like the iBooks are designed for, but DUAL DISPLAY!! I can't believe this. That was one of the only features that i sacrificed by getting the iBook instead of PowerBook.

While I'm here, has anyone recieved there U2 iPod's. Are they really worth it? I think if they would have made that the "release" edition/ U2 iPod with color screen, IT would sell like crazy.

Post pics! Are you sure you never applied that firmware hack somewhere in the past, and perhaps it got re-enabled somehow?

That is strange, but very cool!

i had the hack (screen spanning doctor) installed before I reinstalled OSX, but I did a full erase and install. I thought that would erase the entire drive and return everything to new. oh well. Ill get pics up as soon as i get batteries for my camera.

Hmm... Not necessary, then. The hack goes into the firmware. Erasing the drive and reinstalling does not clean the open firmware from the hack. And, of course, the hack works, so well, yeah, you got screen spanning.

Fryke, why did you kill the magic? :)

Fryke wrote:
"Hmm... Not necessary, then. The hack goes into the firmware. Erasing the drive and reinstalling does not clean the open firmware from the hack. And, of course, the hack works, so well, yeah, you got screen spanning."

Tetano said:
sorry, which hack?

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

You hack the firmware of the iBook to enable "extended desktop mode." The iBook normally only supports mirroring across two displays, but hacking the firmware can enable it to span desktops instead of just mirroring them. I would be very hesitant to apply this hack, though, as it's probably not covered under warranty if something goes wrong.

The reason your iBook probably exhibited this after a fresh install is that during a fresh install, the PRAM and NVRAM of the machine is reset by the OS X installer (to set the new screen resolution and startup disk). When your PRAM/NVRAM was reset, it probably "brought back to life" the screen-spanning hack.

When the NVRAM is reset, my understanding is that it resets everything to factory standard, thereby removing the hack.

I'm thinking that the NVRAM doesn't get touched by an installation, because people do do legitimate things in OF.

Ah, then it's the PRAM that gets modified (not reset), as the OS X Installer automatically sets itself as the startup disk after a successful installation...

I want to say I remember something about making this hack permanent -- when it was early in the release of the OF hack, it was temporary; having to be re-enabled after a restart. Perhaps someone came up with a way to make it "stick" in OF.

Does any one know whether there is a hack or somethign for dual display for the eMac? I dont think the eMac supports dual Display with the internal Crt and an external monitor....????

Early on, there was only one hack that set the setting for _this_ boot, after a reboot it was gone. This was also the 'safe' option for a while, because after the reboot, it'd be gone. However, it wasn't really safe. The hack only works on the intended machines that have the intended hardware. People who installed the hack on older iBooks, for example, fried their iBooks.

The hack also works on similarly 'limited' iMacs and eMacs (like ElDiablo said, just look at the link), but there, too, make sure that you actually have a model that is supported, i.e. it has the right graphics card.

Such firmware hacks never come with a guarantee, and they're always a bit difficult, i.e. if you _do_ fry your machine, don't expect anyone to cover the expenses of buying a new machine.

That said: I never had any trouble with this particular Open Firmware change on any supported iBook of mine or my friends (iBook G3 700, iBook G3 800, iBook G3 900, iBook G4 800).

neither have i - been using it for a good 6-7 months now, and has been keeping me away from the apple-store to get a powerbook instead ;)

al.ex

Back