I finally did it!

debiso

Registered
I have been a die hard PC guy for MANY years. I have been very frustrated with my windows laptop for about a year. I thought an upgrade to vista would help... OMG what a mistake!!! I tossed around the idea of a mac. The only thing stopping me was the need to run MS Access applications using ODBC to a SQL server. I came across codeweavers Crossover office. Install it and then Access XP. Loaded my DB, added a DSN and it all worked!!! Could not believe it! I am so happy that I am now typing this message on my shiny new MBP! Just thought I would share!!

Joe

Welcome to the cult my brother (or sister) :)

Seriously, enjoy the new MBP, they are wonderful machines.

Well I'm proud of you. I'm glad you commited to getting a Mac. To many frustrated PC users are scared to crossover. But once they do... they love it. Is it shameful these days for a PC user to want to come to the side that embodies all that is great in the world?

I'd buy an Apple iToilet if they made it... hell even an Apple iWife sounds like it wouldn't nag, and it would probably know how to cook :)

No, but it'd give you iKitchen with nice templates of dishes. Of course all of them corny.

my friend put an apple sticker on his toaster... he called it iToast.

we accually tried to find a wake to make an iFridge.

sorry we are on the subject of cooking and kitchens... and i'm kinda hungry.

Speaking of those stickers... how can I get more of those without buying a new comp or something?

P.S. You think if Captain Jack Sparrow put an apple sticker over his eye would he call it "iEyeCaptain"?

I just bought my mum a new Vista Home Premium PC with a dual-core processor, a 256MB video card, and a 250GB hard drive for her new transcription job. I hate it! Vista is a nightmare!

Congradulations on the switch. MacBooks rock.

Oh, and you can get those Apple stickers from eBay; I just put two of them on my Jeep.

Macs in general are pretty good.

I don't mean to rune the celebration but please don't expect the mac to work perfectly. It's still a machine and is as imperfect as the people that created it. I've had my mac freeze on me a lot! probly more then 95% of most mac users so the possiblilty of it acting up is there but more unusual as PC's.

I just don't want you to get your expectations as high as mine was and now I'm disappointed and want to go back to XP (but not vista because like you said, it sucks!).

No, the Mac is not perfect. That's the little secret, no computer is. But many of us like Mac OS X because it's not "in your face:" no activation, no pop-up bubbles, no Genuine Advantage, etc. The operating sytem files are protected so it's less likely the OS will get corrupted. There is effectively NO malware capable of attacking Macs over the Internet at this point. Lots of great software comes with the machines. And there's an active and healthy free and shareware software community.

Incidentally, I've been playing around with Windows XP (SP2) on my MacBook Pro, and I'm still not impressed. I had to laugh at Microsoft's "Genuine Advantage" digital rights management. Their description of it indicates that somehow it benefits the user. Hah! It benefits Microsoft. Why lie? I'm not saying Apple doesn't have some corporate goofiness, but it's no Microsoft.

Good luck Debiso, feel free to ask questions as you use your new machine. I'd suggest you keep an open mind and understand that the Mac OS sometimes operates differently than Windows. If you like to learn from books, try "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" by David Pogue.

t

Absolutly, I'm not disagreeing that windows in general is more of a pain then macs.

I hate to say it but Microsoft needs "Genuine Advantage" even though they've taken it too far. The reason why is because for every 100 computers out there probably 95 of them are PC's and because of that there is a lot of piracy. You guys are going to have a laugh at how far Genuine Advantage as gone; now it "marry's" the software to the computer even more so then before, and if you change your ram you need to reactivate it!

Right now, Apple doesn't have anything like Genuine Advantage but as macs are becoming more popular, I wouldn't be surprised if they start doing something about it in about 5 years. Another advantage with macs not being as popular as PC's is that people don't care as much to produce viruses, malware, spyware or anything but like I said before, watch out as macs become more popular!

The next reason I don't like macs are because I'm in I.T. and I fix computers for a living, so I decided to buy my Mac Book Pro so I could learn how to fix macs. Unfortunatly, there isn't a big market for that since macs in general don't break down as much as PC's.

I always find it funny that Windows users work so hard to try to convince you that a pc is better than mac, all I have to do is... "watch this".

I was showing this guy how cool my mac was today; i was like "watch this" then I had a kernal panic for the second time in a month and I formatted my computer about a month ago.

P.S. According to mac, this is not a hardware issue. grrr....

Another advantage with macs not being as popular as PC's is that people don't care as much to produce viruses, malware, spyware or anything but like I said before, watch out as macs become more popular!

I wouldnt be soooo sure about that. I mean apple has come out and basicly said that no one out there can touch macs with any of that nonsense and another guy hooked his mini mac upto the net as a server or something and challenged people to hack it. Im pretty sure no one succeded and im pretty sure hackers etc. love a good challenge like this...

I might add I dont know much about this sort of stuff, I may get terminology and details wrong etc. but the basic point is that computer geniouses have been challenged and havnt succeded. I dont know why this would change in the future.

I own an internet security business in which I ethical hack people to show them where they're weaknesses are. I would love to give this website a try, what address is it?

I still stand behind the point that macs have just as much the potential to get hacked as windows computers are currently. The reason why it's very, very rare is because lets face most medium to large corporations use unix or Windows servers as firewalls. If they can take that server down then that is going to cause so much more damage then finding out how to hack the few macs that are out there acting as a firewall.

Im sorry, I have no idea what the adress is or even if the guy has a site about it. Im sure I read it on here so you could try searching... or maybe someone else recalls it better than myself.

No, Mac's are not perfect, just d@mn close!

We, our company, switched a year ago from windoze, and now have more Mac's than windoze machines. (more than 60, including XServe's).

Keep the faith.

What's your company? The way I see it is, theres some parts of windows that I wish mac had, but theres a lot of things windows need that mac has. for example like the option to not put your computer to sleep when the lid is closed, though I do know there is a extension you can use but it takes so much time to switch unlike windows.

Things Macs should have the windows has:
- Constantly connected network drives
- "Del" key which deletes the letters ahead
- Made more for gaming (this is hurting macs the most! in my oppinion)

Things windows should have that macs has
- incorporate drag and drop more
- more stable core like unix
- better programs that come with windows

Things Macs should have the windows has:
- Constantly connected network drives
- "Del" key which deletes the letters ahead
- Made more for gaming (this is hurting macs the most! in my oppinion)

Things windows should have that macs has
- incorporate drag and drop more
- more stable core like unix
- better programs that come with windows

i've got a delete key... and a backspace.... and they tried to get games back to the mac many times, but there was never the market for it.

Back