I gots the final. :)

Yup.. went down to the local Staples, and there they were... 2 copies! My girlfriend went zinging by me, grabbed both of them, and had hopped over to the register before I could blink twice.
She's STILL bouncing around the house.

So far.. I'm happy. Very happy. :)

Just wanna change the hostname.. *sigh* There's obviously some things that they've changed around, and I can't seem to find any trace of SSH :(

Don't keep us in such suspense! Give us the Details! I want to know Numbers! Included applications! What's on the CD's? Is it slow like 4K78? Tell me MORE!

Originally posted by Dr_Stein
My girlfriend went zinging by me, grabbed both of them, and had hopped over to the register before I could blink twice.
She's STILL bouncing around the house.

Where can I get a girlfriend like that??

I went to my local dealer here in Spain today and there they where, 15 boxes with MacOS X. They won't sell them until Friday's midnight, but they are there. I couldn't buy mine, but they had an open box and I could install it at one of the dealer's Macs.

The Spanish version has 3 cds: MacOS 9.1 Spanish Installer, MacOS X 1.0 Installer and the Developer Tools CD Installer.

MacOS X 1.0 comes in 7 languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese and Dutch.

... I will continue posting in a while... I have to keep using it while the dealer is open ;)

WHAT ?????
Only 7 languages?????
THAT SUX!!! where is the greek ?????? (and russian for that matter)

gggrrrrrr...... once world one CD.... a bunch-o-balloney!

now that I hvae learned this fact.... to buy or not to buy OS X 1.0 ?

Admiral

Ok, the readme in the installer has some good/bad news:
- You can't install MacOS X in a USB or FireWire disk. SCSI should work, though they warn you about third party SCSI cards... if they don't work properly try to attach a disk or terminator to the external port; if no luck contact the manufacturer for and updated driver.

- AirPort support is in, but I don't have an AirPort card so I won't be able to tell you about it. If you have an existing AirPort network and configuration it will use it right away, but if you have to create a new configuration you must restart with MacOS 9.1

... I'll be back :D

Those are the languages supported in this release, but the language panel in Preferences has all the languages listed... I supose you will be able to download them pretty soon.

Ok, installation finished in a PowerMac G4 500 MP (one of those "old" machines ;) ). It took 25 minutes more or less.

... lets see... Apple Menu, About this Mac... this says this is build 4k78, Memory: 256 MB, Processor: 2 x PowerPC G4.

.... I'll keep going (one of the guys here at the dealer will be with me until late night, so I'll keep posting what I find).

THIS IS VERY EXCITING!!!

Languages listed ???
Hmmmm.... perhaps then I will buy it ;)
(I hope there will be greek available for download soon.... :- )

Admiral

Custom installation shows 4 items:

- Base System (228 MB aprox). It is selected and dimmed by default so you can't unselect it.

- System Software (520 MB aprox). It is selected and dimmed by default so you can't unselect it.

- Printer Drivers (75 MB aprox). It is an option, but I am installing it. In 75 MB of printer drivers there must be and Epson one that I can use... I will tell you later.

- BSD Unix Layer (70 MB aprox). It is an option... at least for Apple, but not for me. It is a must.

Ok, the names and the sizes are not accurate, because I have already installed the creature and I am doing it from memory. I AM SO NERVOUS

I have installed the Developer Tools CD. It is a single package (.pkg). The CD contains only that package, two readmes and a folder with CarbonLib SDK.

I was browsing the Net with Internet Explorer 5.1 Preview, downloading several megabytes at the terminal with "wget" command and installing the DevTools.... all at the same time with no apparent performance downgrade.

AdmiralAK, after another look at languages menu I have to tell you that there are no Russian or Greek options... sorry, there are many flavors of French, English and others.

In the Keyboard menu there are Unicode caracter sets for 2 byte languages. Russian and Greek will be supported but they didn't have time to finish them for release date. You will be able to download them in the near future.

Hobeaux, AirPort is supported, that is what it says here. In the Apple Menu there is a "Location" option that you can customize.

The dealer is closing. I have to leave and wait until tomorrow to come back or wait until 24 to get my copy.

Sorry guys, fun is over... I hate this, I have seen it but I can have it!!!

Yeti

Back