I have a Dual 2GHz G5, but System Profiler says I only have 1 processor

GammaX

Registered
Hey everyone. I have a Dual 2GHz G5, and I was browsing through the System Profiler looking for my firmware version when I noticed it said that I only have one processor.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

The hardware tab reads this:

Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac7,3
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.8f7

Any help would be great. Thanks!

no, i don't ever recall disabling it. what developer tools are you referring to? is there somewhere that I can enable/disable processors?

the Apple Developer Tools (XCode, Interface Builder, etc)

if you don't know what that is, it's unlikely you installed it. There is a utility that installs with those tools that enables dual CPU macs to be run as a single CPU system, by disabling one of the processors.

Try to run Apple Hardware Test included in your installation Cds/DVds, and run the test on your computer. This software should report any hardware issue on your Mac.

The Dual PM G5s are capable of running just with one processor even when the other one is damaged (well, not all the time), so it is important that you detect if the other processor is damaged or just disabled.

If the Apple Hardware test detects a failure in the procesor 1, please take your computer to an autorized service provider.

I ran the Apple Hardware Test (both of them, extended and basic) and nothing came up. In fact, the hardware configuration listed in the Apple Hardware Test did not acknowledge or make clear that I have two processors either.

I reset the PMU, no change there either.

Are there any other ideas for solutions?

:-/

Just a simple question - What does About This Mac (top item under the blue Apple) tell you about your processor(s)? If this also only says one processor, then take your G5 to an Apple service center. They have a more capable diagnostic that can verify both processors, or they can reseat/replace the processors as a possible fix.

"About This Mac" also lists only one processor, then when I click more info it tells me my number of processors is 1. (See original post.)

I've been scouring the Internet for the answer to this and can find no similar problems, so I guess I'll have to take it in tomorrow. Hopefully it will be covered under warranty.

EDIT: On a sidenote, when I'm browsing the web in Safari, if I go to a site with a heavily animated Flash advertisement or something, my fans spin up pretty loud. (Like those ads that have all 50 states for mortgage rates or something.)

Does anyone else have this experience? I'm hoping it just has to do with my processor issue.

Come on man, give me a little credit. There are two.

I've taken it into my local service center and should have a diagnosis early next week. Thanks for your help everyone, I do appreciate it. ;-)

I can't think of any reason to count the processors. Apple never sold a machine with only one 2.0 GHz processor.

Doug

I was going to suggest the same but I'm not really a mac person so much so my experience is limited... on the macs, G5's actually, is there two seperate heatsinks or one large one that sits on both?

Also at work we have a couple G5 2.5's and yes, any flash page or flash banner seems to cause the fans ramp up in speed. Its a little on the annoying side because I'm not sure there is enough time to cause the processor to heat up that much (we're talking 3 seconds after entering a page with flash) so my guess is its doing it based on CPU load and not temperature.

To the question about separate heat sinks, the dual processors have separate heat sinks, except for the water-cooled models (2.5 and 2.7 duals), which can't be separated from the cooling system - the radiator and a micropump is shared by both processors.

The fans on my G5 will occasionally ramp up for a few moments (as they coincidentally just started doing). It sits under my desk, and the fans are not unpleasant. As I finish typing this, they have slowed back down.

As to what controls the fan, there are several temperature sensors throughout the case.

Doug

Back