I have a quasi-dilemma...

Greystroke

Mr. Wizard
Well to start off I hate Texas Weather. Thunder-storms outta nowhere. :( Anyway lightning struck close to my house and zapped my ethernet port on my motherboard. I tried to convince my dad that i needed a new motherboard.. :D (upgrade hehe) but it ends up i'll have to get an ethernet card. Just wondering if anyone knew of any places or possible great brands i should consider.

Thanks in Advance

First, you should have a surger. Check out the ones for networks.

Linksys is one of the best companies. But I can't find a price right now.

I recently purchased a D-link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 card, it ended up working very nice. I got it at Office Max for $15 with a $6 mail in rebate... $9 bucks for a 10/100 card isn't too bad :D

I downloaded the driver from their site, it's a .pkg, and installed it. I then turned off the computer and threw the card in the slot. Rebooted. Then I opened up network in system prefs and it recognized the extra ethernet port.

If you'd like the OS X driver I can send it to you.

pc motherboard? nForce 2 should be an amazing deal, if you can't wait, the KT400 chipset is pretty decent (AMD anyways). For a p4 the i845 motherboard is far superior to any other....
I dont think you can buy an apple motherboard....

Yea, you actualy can buy an apple mobo. They're expensive as all get out but you can buy one. Also, there's always somebody looking to part one out. You might not get your exact mobo but you might even find an upgrade at a better price if you do your research.

I do have a surger, Think9ng of buying one of the battery back-up ones now though. Somehow the surge skipped my pops computer which is where the router is and zapped my ethernet port and my mom on her old imac.
I recently purchased a D-link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 card, it ended up working very nice. I got it at Office Max for $15 with a $6 mail in rebate... $9 bucks for a 10/100 card isn't too bad
Thanks I'll look into it. :D

Originally posted by Greystroke
Well to start off I hate Texas Weather. Thunder-storms outta nowhere.

Heh... this has nothing to do with helping you out, as others already have, but you're knocking on my state here, bud... :p Only kidding. I moved from San Antonio to Arlington a year ago, and within a week of arriving, we had six tornadoes. Six. All on the same night.

Don't know where you are exactly in Texas, but here in San Antonio, it's been raining for nearly 2 weeks now. Get used to it -- I'll bet it hits 80 degrees during Xmas. :p

Back