I Have Been Forced To Buy A Pc

AdmiralAK
the mac doesn't have one good news group app. none of them do what i need.
i need multiple server support so it combine all servers files in one list for more completetion etc. look at www.newspro.com and www.newsbin.com for the 2 best nntp client apps in the world. i need multiple server support and for the app to do what i need. not one mac app does this. so im stuck using windows for it.

Originally posted by RacerX

Rootless: a good example would be photoshop. Open photoshop in windows, can you see the desktop? Can you see other open apps? Lets change the window size, what happens to the windows containing the open images? I would say that photoshop on Windows is pretty bad.

Windows requires installers for most apps. How about booting from a CD? Accessing a system's drive when the OS is down (that is a fun one with Windows). Up until OS X, everything the systems needed was in the systems folder (ever has a use delete stuff off the root level of a Windows systems?). How about murging one of the most crash prone apps ever created in to the OS to strengthen market share. And as for "certifiably", how about run Mac software. I have a ton of stuff that only runs on Macs (NO Windows version exist, or OS X at this time). I like I say, unless you use your computer as a toy, Macs are better at most things.

As for you sucess at keeping it up (your Mac that is), I don't know why you are having problems. Maybe Windows is better for you. I have never tried to convert, if you like Windows, we won't miss you.

Ok true, I ALWAYS liked that better about mac. I hate the way apps in windows have to be inside some "bigger" window. Also, the usabillity of the OS is much better in the fact that all extensions are in system folder, apps can be moved anywhere and still work, all preferences are in the preferences folder. Preferences files are the easiest thing ever made, only on mac. As opposed to ... a REGISTRY...... BLAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why my Mac OS 9 crashed so much, either. If I had the uptimes you guys had on OS 9, I would have NEVER EVER NEVER complained. But, OS X fixes that for EVERYBODY. I was the only one praising the OS X public beta when everyone else was flaming it, just because it was miraculous to me that it was the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I saw a mac not crash 3 times a day.

And honestly, Windows would be better for me, today. Only because of Flash. Flash is hosed on mac, currently. It is 3 to 4 times slower than ANY PC, even old ones. And there are much more 3rd party tools for Flash on PC.

But, I like everything else about Mac so much better I use a mac anyway, only because of OS X though.

There's no way OS 9 is better than Windows. No way in hell. Yes, rootless apps and a MUCH more intuitive OS construction, and better looking... but other than that Windows topples it in every conceivable way.

But now with OS X...... it is the shit. It is the all-encompassing system. Run Unix, Windows, Mac, Linux, etc. etc. NEVER crash, fast, beautiful..... it's amazing.

But you DO need to be a SUPER power user to appreciate it and harness ALL of it. I can't even install X Windows. It never worked for me. But I don't know shit about Unix either. The point is I can't show up any of my Windows friends with installation of GIMP and X Windows, because I can't do it. LOL

I'm very happy to still be able to stick with Apple.

-solrac-

serpicolugnut

none of the games i play are on mac. and i only play a couple. i have no interest what so ever in Elite force and all the games you mentioned. i only have interest in a couple games and that's it. and one of them doesn't even play worth a damn on my mac but probably cus it's only 450mhz and ati 16mb vid card.
the mac does not play the avi files that i play just fine on pc. try to and you get codec not found errors. the divx on mac fucking sucks and is pathetic compared to windows.
you want to i can set up for you an ftp account on my server, let you download all the movie files i have and you try to play them on the mac os x. if you get them to play exactly the same performace or so as my pc can, I'll give that to you. I have tried, QT pro does not play them avi files i have. no codec found.

The news groups app i talk about.
None of the mac programs do what i need. newswatcher freaking sucks. none of them and i mean not one work with multiple servers the same way newsbin and newspro do on the pc. www.newsbin.com and www.newspro.com
now if mac os 10 had an app for news group access that did this, I'd hardly ever use a pc except to play those games i like.

I access the news groups daily and have several servers. i download tons of binary files. what i do is combine all servers in the news group app newsbin and news pro. they both do it similar. it forms a more complete group by combinding servers etc. so if one part is not on a server it gets from another one etc.
no mac app does this that i know. just go read those web sites i mentioned and you'll see what i talk about. no mac app does what they do. not that i know.

i would not buy a console cus it doesn't have many games that i like either. pc has the games i like and they won't ever be on consoles nearly as good as the pc. I'm only interested in sports games, baseball only, and maybe FPS like unreal tournament or return to castle wolfensteing, medal of honor allied assult, etc. RTCW will be on mac os x and plays like crap for my dual g4 450 with 896mb ram, 10.1 and the current beta. frame rate sucks in 10*7. play on my pc and it freaking rocks!!! but it's better hardware.

anyhow take care.
my email buggs1a@hotmail.com

Originally posted by Joseph Spiros
Well, I'll admit, I'm not being FORCED to buy a PC, however, for what I do (Photoshop and Lightwave), its cheaper... I mean, I WANT a Mac... I really do, but its so much. I'll also admit that an Alienware machine IS one of the more expensive PC brands out there, but, I'll admit, I think its the closest I can get to a Mac without getting one (cool looks, and when I install Linux, It'll have the same great features as OS X.)

If someone has a way for me to get a nice G4 with basically the same setup as http://www.alienware.com/main/confi...rieveQuote=joseph.spiros@chronosurf.com-58901

please tell me... I would love to hear about it because, if there was a system like it, I would buy it right away.

I'll also admit that I have some PC software I would love to run (namely Lightwave 6 and the game Half Life), and VPC, if you have ever tried it, is the WORST way to go.
I will tend to agree with you on this one. Right now the LightWave on the mac is pretty useless..I can barely get any stuff done. The UI is slow, it's unresponsive, etc. I am still thinking about buying PC just for lightwave. But I can't bring myself to spend money :) I have so much invested in Mac hardware and software, I'm just going to ride it out and wait for NewTek do do something about the crappiness of LightWave(Hell, 7.0b is a major improvement from 6.5)

I'll be getting a PC too, but for the dumbest reason of all. That's right:games.

OS X and the latest Macs and the next round of games may change my opinion, but as of today, there is no comparison. Sure, some well-written Mac games run smooth (Unreal comes to mind), but for crying out loud Diablo II (a freaking sprite based scrolling game) and Baldur;s Gate (even less demanding) run like total crap even on my G4 450 with an AGP Rage Pro.

Apple's been hyping OS X's OpenGL performance, but again, as of today, I haven't seen it as far as games are concerned.

My rationalization is that I'll just consider the PC to be a gaming console.. A sort of expensive one, but still a gaming console pure and simple.

If Apple could get the game thing resolved, I guarantee you there would be at least a slight shift of PC users to Macs for that reason alone.

Originally posted by solrac

I don't know why my Mac OS 9 crashed so much, either. If I had the uptimes you guys had on OS 9, I would have NEVER EVER NEVER complained. But, OS X fixes that for EVERYBODY. I was the only one praising the OS X public beta when everyone else was flaming it, just because it was miraculous to me that it was the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I saw a mac not crash 3 times a day.

...There's no way OS 9 is better than Windows. No way in hell...

I would never use a system that crashed three times in a day (or week for that matter). A good example would be the system I am writing this on. The last time I started it up was Oct 3rd. On average it would see about three hours of use a day. Since the last time I started it it has run the following apps:

Acrobat Reader, Acrobat, Acrobat Distiller, Adobe Image Ready, Adobe PageMill, Adobe Photoshop, AppleWorks, BBEdit Lite, Bugdom, Corel PHOTO-PAINT LE, CorelDRAW LE, Disk Copy, Elite Force, Fetch, Freeway, Iconographer, Internet Explorer, iTunes, Netscape Communicator,
Outlook Express, PictureViewer, Quake 2, QuickTime Player, Rainbow Six, ResEdit, Rogue Spear, SimpleText, Virtual PC 4.0 (running Window 2000, Solaris 7 and RedHat Linux 6.1 in the last week), and Unreal Tournament

Figuring out when my last start up was is easy enough, every time my system starts, so does "KODAK PRECISION Startup", and my recent apps menu is set to 40 items. The modification day of the "KODAK PRECISION Startup" alias is the last time the system was started (so I know that even though my wife uses this system also, she has not restarted it in the period between the 3rd and now).

I don't think any of these apps I use are any easier on my system than they are on anyone else's system. At 317 hours, I don't see this system going down anytime before the 20th (when I go out of town for a couple days, and turn off all but my unix based systems). So I don't know why "your" system crashes so much, but mine seems to be better than almost any Windows system I have ever seen (other than Windows NT printer server which can run without problems for monthes). I have never seen Windows run that many games without crashing (and I had not realized that I had played that many games on my system without it crashing, must be lucky). I don't know what you are doing wrong (or what I must me doing that is so right that I would have the most stable Mac possible), but if you choose Windows over Mac OS 8/9, then so be it.

It seems that most of the complaints about the Mac are due to software, as opposed to the actual hardware.

Most Mac apps that have been originally created on the PC are merely ported to the Mac platform, and that's why their performance sucks. I don't know if this is true with Flash or with LightWave, but it wouldn't surprise me (feel free to correct me if either of these started on the Mac).

The main thing that keeps Apple going, however (by no means the only thing, though) is the ease of use and design of the operating system. The Classic Mac OS is very intuitive and Mac OS X continues that tradition (in certain aspects... I admit OS X is severely lacking in certain areas compared to OS 9, but lets go easy on a 6-month old operating system as opposed to a 17-year-old one). I know users on GameRanger who use a Mac solely because of it's operating system -- they can't stand the Windows interface... and it's a valid reason.

You can argue all you want about the applications and how crappy software is and whether Apple hardware is superior or inferior to PC hardware, but all you'll end up doing is getting blue in the face. The Mac and PC are better at different things, and there are legitimate reasons to buy either, even though I like to be a Mac advocate (DAMN, the new TiBook is DAMNED awesome! The LOW END config is better in EVERY way than my cube -- faster processor, faster system bus, same size hard drive, better graphics card (Mobility Rage as opposed to Rage 128 Pro, both with 16 MB VRAM), same optical drive, etc. -- and my cube is only a year old!).

Your best bet is to look at what applications you'll be running, what your daily routine will be, and then make an educated decision from there. If you're just going to be using low-end applications that don't require much speed, and a few games here and there, then you'll probably be better off with a Mac. If you have to do 3D work or Flash work that require a hefty processor and good software, you're probably better off with a PC. Gaming also depends on which games you'll be running -- EV, Cro-Mag, and STV:EF run more than adequately on a Mac (oh, by the way, anything above 100 fps is usually just pointless, because the human eye can't detect such differences -- I believe it is in the range of 60-80 fps that the human eye maxes out). If you want to play Half-Life and other games that don't run well on the Mac, and that's all you'll be using, go ahead and buy a PC that's suited for that. If you can't stand the operating system and are willing to sacrifice a few games/apps (no, I don't need 500 versions of solitaire), then go ahead and buy a Mac and you'll save yourself the horror of the un-usability of Windows.

You have to make an educated decision. I never need to run PC games or PC applications, and I don't do any processor intensive work unless you count gaming, and even then I don't run the latest and greatest games. So since I am interacting with the operating system a lot of the time, I need the ease of use of the Macintosh, and that's why I stay with it.

Nothing beats an educated guess.

I don't know what you all are arguing about.

1. Crashes can be caused due to enviromental conditions in addition to hardware/software so comparing the ammount of crashed is irrelivent as I doubt very much that any of you keep your machines in a temperature/humidity controlled room.

2. As the owner of 1 a pc Intel celeron 800mhz CISC processor, 160megs of ram a 20gb hard drive a 3dfx Voodoo3 pci video card Running Windows XP and Windows ME. and 2 a Ibook G3 500Mhz RISC processor with 256megs of ram running osx. I have both computers networked and I have never found a significant difference in the uptime of either and I use Both for game oftern playing Unreal Tournament between the two. Neither crashes more than 1 or twice a month. I use both the same way and for the same things. My reasoning for having both is that I'd like to stay open minded to both platforms. Anyone who argues back and forth is just arguing Pepsi Vs. Coke or even more acurate Dodge Vs Chevy .

As Apple Zealots you should all know that 1. IBM, Motorola and Apple built the Power PC not just apple. 2. That Microsoft owns A large share of Apple. hmmm.... IBM, Microsoft, and Apple hmmm...if the companies don't have a grudge why do their customers?

And lastly If you all look at it ..... Windows XP and OSX's GUI's look very similar .....hmmm... maybe they're preparing us for a larger cross platform OS for the future ?

Like I say neither OS is better ...... Different and specialized in different areas but both relatively equal

The last time I started it [Mac OS 9] up was Oct 3rd. On average it would see about three hours of use a day. Since the last time I started it it has run the following apps:

Acrobat Reader, Acrobat, Acrobat Distiller, Adobe Image Ready, Adobe PageMill, Adobe Photoshop, AppleWorks, BBEdit Lite, Bugdom, Corel PHOTO-PAINT LE, CorelDRAW LE, Disk Copy, Elite Force, Fetch, Freeway, Iconographer, Internet Explorer, iTunes, Netscape Communicator,
Outlook Express, PictureViewer, Quake 2, QuickTime Player, Rainbow Six, ResEdit, Rogue Spear, SimpleText, Virtual PC 4.0 (running Window 2000, Solaris 7 and RedHat Linux 6.1 in the last week), and Unreal Tournament

Figuring out when my last start up was is easy enough, every time my system starts, so does "KODAK PRECISION Startup", and my recent apps menu is set to 40 items. The modification day of the "KODAK PRECISION Startup" alias is the last time the system was started (so I know that even though my wife uses this system also, she has not restarted it in the period between the 3rd and now).

Honestly, I don't believe you. I think you are lying. Seriously. I know that's a shitty thing to say, but to me it sounds like a pipe dream. I wouldn't believe it unless I could stay at your house for a week and use your mac every day. Then I'd burn your system folder to a CD and sell it to other mac users for $1000 a pop, because that shit just doesn't exist. I've gone through 4 macs in my time, from system 7 - 9.2, and at least through 8.0 - 9.2 macs crash at least once a day, up to 4 or 5 times a day on a bad day. That's why people used to say MACINTOSH = "MOST APPLICATIONS CRASH IF NOT OPERATING SYSTEM HANGS"... and it's so true.

Sorry, I just don't believe your mac has been up since October 3rd. That's two weeks. LOLOLOL... whatever dude. I'd seriously, honest-to-god have to SEE that to believe it.

So I don't know why "your" system crashes so much, but mine seems to be better than almost any Windows system I have ever seen (other than Windows NT printer server which can run without problems for monthes). I have never seen Windows run that many games without crashing (and I had not realized that I had played that many games on my system without it crashing, must be lucky). I don't know what you are doing wrong (or what I must me doing that is so right that I would have the most stable Mac possible), but if you choose Windows over Mac OS 8/9, then so be it.

I only choose Windows over Mac OS 8/9 because Windows 98 or 2000 can go for days without crashing, in my experience. Even 2 days without crashing would be awesome to me. I've never seen a mac go for more than a day without crashing, and I'm an expert at the whole system folder / extensions / preferences game. Shit, my Mac OS 9 would sometimes crash on STARTUP. I mean, it's ridiculous!

Now with Mac OS X, the longest uptime I've had is 5 days. That is amazing to me. It would've been 7 days, but 2 days ago, my CD-ROM stopped working. So I tried a reboot. Fixed it. (OS X crashed today.... the whole thing just hung, Finder, Dock, and all, just spinning that cursor). So one crash in 7 days. To me that is great. The last time my OS X crashed was a couple months ago. (The reason my longest uptime was 5 days is because I always used to turn off my computer, but I have started using only sleep mode, just to see how long I can go without ever rebooting or crashing.)

But as for OS 9...... I think you should donate your computer to science.

-solrac-

$ uptime
12:04PM up 74 days, 19:44, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
$

Okay, so it is only my NAT/router/firewall, 24/7 on hostile cable internet, serving my home network and making sure nobody comes in.

Obviously, no data is present nor is any work actually done on that machine.

And it is not running Windows, either :)

Honestly, I don't believe you. I think you are lying. Seriously. I know that's a shitty thing to say, but to me it sounds like a pipe dream. I wouldn't believe it unless I could stay at your house for a week and use your mac every day. Then I'd burn your system folder to a CD and sell it to other mac users for $1000 a pop, because that shit just doesn't exist. I've gone through 4 macs in my time, from system 7 - 9.2, and at least through 8.0 - 9.2 macs crash at least once a day, up to 4 or 5 times a day on a bad day. That's why people used to say MACINTOSH = "MOST APPLICATIONS CRASH IF NOT OPERATING SYSTEM HANGS"... and it's so true.

Sorry, I just don't believe your mac has been up since October 3rd. That's two weeks. LOLOLOL... whatever dude. I'd seriously, honest-to-god have to SEE that to believe it. [/B]

That is okay, anyone who knows me, knows I'm not one for lying about these types of things. As for it being a "shitty" thing to say, not really... it actually is very telling about your personality. Usually people who tend towards lying accuse others of doing the same. At this point I would question if you have ever touched a Mac. It adds up though, say you own a Mac (a TiBook no less) and then say that you can't keep it running. If people with NO computer experience are having less problems than you (and I'm giving you credit has actually having experience), then maybe you are just in the neighborhood trolling.

As for selling this stuff to other Mac users, I only charge $50.00 an hour to step up systems and networks (maybe I should charge more). I always wondered why people were so happy with the systems that I set up. At $1000 a pop, this would have been a $9000 week for me and it is only Wednesday.

And honestly, I don't know what you are doing to your Macs, but the way you descibe it, you are the kiss of death to computers. I don't know anyone who has a Mac that crashes as much as the ones under your care. I mean really, out of the box, if a Mac is crashing that much, you have major hardware issues. If you have screwed with the OS, it is your own fault. And as for Mac OS X, I can't remember the last time I saw a system crash (that includes Rhapsody, Mac OS X Server 1.0 -10.0, and Mac OS X PB -10.1).

As for up times, two weeks is not that great. I was able to keep a Quadra 900 running Mac OS 8.1 up for over 90 days (my wife was the primary user, using mainly Netscape, Outlook Express, and ClarisWorks). Any system running 8 or later should be very stable. I don't make promises for 7.6 and earier, though my A/UX 3.0 system has been running continuously for 38 days without any problems, and I have been using it as more of a System 7 platform than a Unix platform (I still have some old software that doesn't like 8). But the truth doesn't matter here any more, so whatever dude.

cmoz, xp and os x look nothing alike. i hate it when people say it does, but it does not in my opinion. totally different colors, totally different icons, buttons etc. everything is different. i don't see in any way what so ever how xp looks like os x.
i use a pc daily and mac os x rarely, but when i do, mac os x and win xp look nothing a like.

In my opinion I think Macromedia is not making the flash player optimized for Mac. I don't see a problem on my computer, I'm serious. I haven't got a crash or slow animation. IT runs just fine, fast and smooth. I don't know what u guys talking about. Maybe u meant the flash player when u create shockwave movies? or what?

GALEN

That is okay, anyone who knows me, knows I'm not one for lying about these types of things. As for it being a "shitty" thing to say, not really... it actually is very telling about your personality. Usually people who tend towards lying accuse others of doing the same. At this point I would question if you have ever touched a Mac.

LOL, dude. So you are accusing me of lying. Questioning if I have ever even touched a mac. That is very telling about your personality, you know. Usually people who accuse others of lying tend to lie themselves. I heard this from somewhere, can't put my finger on where though...

It adds up though, say you own a Mac (a TiBook no less) and then say that you can't keep it running. If people with NO computer experience are having less problems than you (and I'm giving you credit has actually having experience), then maybe you are just in the neighborhood trolling.

Oh so I'm a troll now? I'm too busy to come to message boards and start arguments based on false information. I've been using macs since I was 12 years old. I think maybe you are the troll. Well, the opposite actually. A troll tries to start shit on message boards. You're doing the opposite. Coming to this board claiming your OS 9 stays running for 30 - 40 days, praising your OS 9 for something it could never be to instill hope and enjoyment in others. So, you're not a troll, but an angel. A fallen angel, a prince of lies.

And honestly, I don't know what you are doing to your Macs, but the way you descibe it, you are the kiss of death to computers. I don't know anyone who has a Mac that crashes as much as the ones under your care. I mean really, out of the box, if a Mac is crashing that much, you have major hardware issues. If you have screwed with the OS, it is your own fault. And as for Mac OS X, I can't remember the last time I saw a system crash (that includes Rhapsody, Mac OS X Server 1.0 -10.0, and Mac OS X PB -10.1).

For OS 9 and before, how can you be a kiss of death to a computer? There's no way! The OS is fool-proof (minus extension conflicts and corrupt preferences). That's what is so great about Mac! It would be the shit if it never crashed! Shit, Apple and Steve Jobs would never have made OS X if OS 9 ran the way you claim it to run on your machine! LOL!!

Even with a base set of extensions and a whole new preferences folder OS 9 crashes frequently. Less, of course, but as you use it, it builds up and crashes more and more. It's not a long-term, stable system. It's just not. I'm not a kiss of death. Now, for OS X I can be a kiss of death. I can do stuff that can screw the whole system. I log in as root exclusively. Everyone knows this is a "bad thing to do", but yet I do it, and like I said. My OS X crashed the other day, and the last time it crashed before THAT was 2 months ago. That is pretty damn good. That is reasonable, honest-to-god, believable performance of a stable, rock-solid OS. YOU CLAIM YOUR OS 9 IS UP FOR 74 DAYS!!! That's longer than MY OS X LASTED!! You're so full of shit.

Ok whatever, maybe you are telling the truth. But so am I.

So if we can be friends and admit to each other that we're BOTH telling the truth, then even THEN... the real truth is we are two people. YOU have a rock solid OS X quality OS 9 running. I have shit crap OS 9s running.

That means, factually, that two different people have the SAME system, and one is GREAT, and one is PURE SHIT. This fact alone proves that OS 9 is not stable.

OS X is stable for everybody. The fallen angel, the kiss-of-death man, and everyone else. OS 9 is not. (We are the living proof.)

I don't mean to insult you either you are probably a cool guy.

Thanks for listening,
-solrac-

That thing is definitely butt ugly, and getting that thing to work as quickly as a Mac is not going to be cheaper. Shoot, those things dont even have a respectable BS cache speed still. All generic componentry( I dont care if they are name brand or not, it is all inadequate when compared to Mac internals) which adds up to an ugly regurgitation of every other PC out there trying to "look cool" but failing miserably. There are alot of Mac imitators out there such as Dell for his iMac wannabes and the like, although they are immitators at least they realize Mac design is a well thought solution to product design. Unlinke that Alien system that is just trying to look futuristic and innovative while coming off looking silly.

Guys, guys...

Please stop duking it out in this thread. It is starting to annoy me.

As I said in the other thread that was similar to this, everything has been said, and anything else that there is to add is just personal experience... and we all no experience varies from machine to machine and from user to user. I'm sorry if some of you are the kiss of death to OS X and some of you are the kiss of death to OS 9. I, on the contrary, am the kiss of life to both operating systems (every time someone is having a problem, I just start using it and the problem goes away).

OK, OK, maybe I'm too high on my horse. My point was that this doesn't add anything to the thread, and nothing else will anymore, especially since some of the people in the thread have been resorting to "not believing" and calling "liars" and starting to swear. I don't care WHO started doing this -- this is supposed to be a friendly place to discuss things.

Also, it seems like this thread has become more than discussion on one topic, and it's kind of hard to follow.

So I encourage any people looking at this thread NOT to reply anymore, for I doubt there is anything anyone can add to this thread anymore, including me.

Without further ado, let us retire this thread in peace like that other thread that was recently revived.

Hey simX, what does the word bubble say in your avitar?
Sorry for topping this topic with this question but.... it's just to spite you for fun :)
Peace

You IDIOT! You RUINED my chance for MacOSX.com bulletin board domination!!!

Seriously, though, let's retire this thread.

And my avatar says 'No Windows'... it's a little hard to see since it's antialiased (and the text is gray)... I'm getting a better version up that might be a little easier to read.

NO MORE DAMN POSTS! :D

Even with a base set of extensions and a whole new preferences folder OS 9 crashes frequently. Less, of course, but as you use it, it builds up and crashes more and more. It's not a long-term, stable system. It's just not. I'm not a kiss of death. Now, for OS X I can be a kiss of death. I can do stuff that can screw the whole system. I log in as root exclusively. Everyone knows this is a "bad thing to do", but yet I do it, and like I said. My OS X crashed the other day, and the last time it crashed before THAT was 2 months ago. That is pretty damn good. That is reasonable, honest-to-god, believable performance of a stable, rock-solid OS. YOU CLAIM YOUR OS 9 IS UP FOR 74 DAYS!!! That's longer than MY OS X LASTED!! You're so full of shit.

Wow, you're something of a hot head aren't you. Funny, I just pointed out how easy it would be to say you could be lying also, but you take it as though I was calling you a liar. The second half of the post talking about how you are dealing with your Mac would not be needed if I was saying the same things about you that you have said about me. Reading carefully helps. I current make a living off of fixing Macs. I don't take ANY crash as being a natural thing to happen. It shouldn't happen. And I don't stop looking for the problem (and if your system is crashing there is a problem) until I find it (okay, maybe not for crashing during games, but anything else). I never claimed I had OS 9 (this system) running for 74 days (at least get the fact straight), but I have seen OS 9 go for longer (granted it was a server running ASIP 6.3, but it was on 113 days the last time I check).

You should reread you series of post. I can tell from this that you have not try to find out WHY your systems crash. If must be the OS, so why look, is that how you deal with it? Do you know why OS X crashed on you the last time? Or did you just say, "oh, once in two month, that's not bad, I'll just restart and go about like nothing had happened". That attitude is what leads to systems becoming more and more unstable over time. If your car quits on you going down the freeway, do you just start up again and forget about it? Or do you find out WHY it quit on you. Apple gives techs a complete list of things to check on any of their system (and I have a hand full that I have come up with from my own experiences).

Ok whatever, maybe you are telling the truth. But so am I.

Like I said, if I didn't belive you, that would have been a much shorter post.

So if we can be friends and admit to each other that we're BOTH telling the truth, then even THEN... the real truth is we are two people. YOU have a rock solid OS X quality OS 9 running. I have shit crap OS 9s running.

Like I said, it could very easily be hardware related. But you have to look for the problem before you can fix it.

That means, factually, that two different people have the SAME system, and one is GREAT, and one is PURE SHIT. This fact alone proves that OS 9 is not stable.

No, it only proves that you have not looked for the problems in your system. If part of your OS was written to a bad sector of your drive, that would cause problems for any OS... but that is not the fault of the OS. If you installed a bad DIMM, your system would freeze periodicly... but that is not the fault of the OS. If you are trying to use more fonts than the system can deal with (128 for Mac OS 9) by using third party software (like ATM or Suitcase), you could get errors drawing fonts to your display... but that is not the fault of the OS. I could go on endlessly with this, there are plenty of reason besides the all to easy "OS 9 is not stable". If it is for one, then it can be for others.

OS X is stable for everybody. The fallen angel, the kiss-of-death man, and everyone else. OS 9 is not. (We are the living proof.)

OS X is stable for everybody... except you. Your system crashed. By your argument with OS 9, that fact alone proves that it is also unstable. Unix is stable... until you run a theme manager on top of X-Windows on top of the core install. Why? Because to produce themes, you have to break rules about how X-Windows is suposed to function. The are a ton of apps the try to do this in the Mac OS, finding them and either getting a fix or stopping their use on a system can do wonders. But then again, you have to look for the problems to fix them.

You're young. Maybe that is enough of an explanation, but I know other people who are younger than you that are able to solve such problems without looking for the easy solution of "the OS 9 is not stable".

(Sorry simX, somethings need to run their course. I'll do my best not to swear, but it does come up in the quotes.)

Back