I just got iWork ;-)

lurk

Mitä?
We will see how well it works... if you have any questions I can try some stuff out for any curious parties.

Yep there is no equation editor. However it does work with Equation Service so you can just type in LaTeX select it and then press Apple-/ and the LaTeX formatted PDF of the equation will be inserted. I tried the "unformat" option on equation service and it did not work. But I never had any luck with that in the past anyway.

Can you tell me if Keynote is faster than the previous version? Can you tell me how fast your machine is? Thanks.

P.S. I have a 400mhz G4 which, supposedly, is not recommended for iWorks. Thanks again.

It is about the same but I have a 1.5 GHz Powerbook so I cannot really say how it would run on a slower machine.

Durbrow said:
P.S. I have a 400mhz G4 which, supposedly, is not recommended for iWorks. Thanks again.
Keynote 2 works well on my dual processor G4/1.25 MDD and it is satisfactory for presentations on my iBook G3/600. But given the heavy reliance on graphics I can see why Apple recommends at least a 500 MHz processor. To me another interesting sidelight is that iWork ships on DVD not CD so you have to have at least a combo drive to install it.

I just received iWork, too. And... hot damn, Pages is so easy and obvious, I think it'll throw some people off. I know I was.

My only complaint is that Pages treats MS Word documents as if they are so foreign.... you have "import" and "export" them. It doesn't just open it, let you work on it, and then save changes. You have to "export" things as Word files.

Boo to that. Otherwise, it's great.

adambyte said:
My only complaint is that Pages treats MS Word documents as if they are so foreign.... you have "import" and "export" them. It doesn't just open it, let you work on it, and then save changes. You have to "export" things as Word files.
The best app I have found for doing what you want is Microsoft Word for Mac. :D

dlloyd said:
Grrrr, traitor! :mad:
Nah! Just truthful.

I haven't opened Word in over six months. Nisus Writer Express 2 handles all my word processing chores, Keynote, now Keynote 2, does my presentations, and NeoOffice/J handles any spreadsheet chores. Even with all of that, none of them handle Word files as transparently as Word for Mac.

I want to know if the iLife integration works with iLife '04, or do you need iLife '05? If it only works with iLife '05, I guess I'd have to upgrade iLife at the same time.

perfessor101 said:

*sigh* Sadly, I must agree.

Would it kill Apple to just get rid of the "import" and "export" philosophy, and just handle these files as if they're all the same? C'mon, what I'm asking for is not impossible by any means, and would make Pages inifnitely more usable and attractive to Switchers.

hows it do with bulleting?
ie, start making a list with...
will it automatilcy do 2 on the next line?
what if you do tab?
will it make a bullet?
tab again?

I take a lot of notes in class, and Words bulleting system many times comes up dry.

Hrm. So far, this is all I got... maybe I should read the manual. Yes, both Pages and Keynote come with cute, but what seem to be decent manuals...

Attachments

• lists.jpg
    lists.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 38
Is it possible to have buttons in a presentation that play a short sound clip when pressed ?
This is a must for me, PowerPoint does it.

thanks adam.
thats really odd that they wouldent make a good bulleting system. Exspecially because bullets are so esential for presentations.

Oh, well... the weird thing is, check out this KeyNote picture.

KeyNote is better at outlines than Pages is. KeyNote acts the way you're talking about, I think.

Weird, eh?

Attachments

• presentation.jpg
    presentation.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 19
adambyte said:
Hrm. So far, this is all I got... maybe I should read the manual. Yes, both Pages and Keynote come with cute, but what seem to be decent manuals...

To increase the outline level when making an outline in Pages, you need to press command-] To reduce the level you press command-[ Also note that when you turn outline off, you may still need to press command-[ several times to get the indent back to the left. I agree that the level should be increased when you press tab, and this feature definitely needs improvement, but it does work. Send feedback to apple about this. I intend to.

perfessor101 said:
If you mean the best available, I would unfortunately have to agree. However, it is by no means the best possible, or even reasonably possible. Every time I try to use it to make something more complicated than a very basic document it gives me a headache. For example, I tried to make a report with a small image at the beginning of each paragraph. I wanted the image to be linked with the text, and have the text flow around the image from the upper right corner, and down the right side of the image. the Only way I found to manage this in word was to position the image relative to the page, and try to get it lined up perfectly. This, of course, meant that every time I made a change to the document, I had to re-position all the images below the change. Very annoying to say the least. Pages, on the other hand, handles this very nicely. Two clicks, and the images was lined up how I wanted it.

Overall, I like Pages and think it has a lot of potential. There are a few areas in which it still needs work, however.

Thanks, Macavenger. Here we go. Granted, I agree, "tab" should do the work of different outline levels. So, it's usable, but if you're taking notes, get really good with Command-] and Command-[

Am I putting too many pictures in this thread?

Attachments

• outline.jpg
    outline.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 12
Back