I keep getting error code -36 while copying files, help please.

perap

Registered
I have a problem that is really making me scratch my head. Sometimes when I try to copy a file from another hard disk to my startup disk I get an error saying:

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "Filename" could not be read or written. (Error code -36)."

The file is fine itself, it can be copied to another drive but not to startup disk from anywhere. This especially seems to happen with package files and applications.

I have tried changing file privileges to match other working files without success. There is something in these files, they popup now & then and usually I have to copy them from OS 9 to get them where I want.

I have OSX 10.3.5 and I'm the only user of it so I have admin privileges.

Can someone share any light on this?

What format are the hard drives in, respectively?

Sometimes Macintosh HFS+ format can handle filenames that a filesystem like UNIX cannot.

All hard drives are in HFS+ format. File names are not special, Vuescan application is one file I cannot copy to my startup disk.

did you get any error report while repairing the permissions? If so, what kind? Also go to Disk Utility and mark your disk (no partitions), then press the info button and search for the S.M.A.R.T. status. Does it say anything else but verified?

Zammy-Sam said:
did you get any error report while repairing the permissions? If so, what kind? Also go to Disk Utility and mark your disk (no partitions), then press the info button and search for the S.M.A.R.T. status. Does it say anything else but verified?

I repaired permissions again and got a message: "We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261"

My MacOs X disk doesn't have S.M.A.R.T. status line at all, might be because it's on a Tempo ATA-card. My original hard drive was too small for OS X, I keep OS 9 on it.

I downloaded a new version of Vuescan, one of my trouble files, and I still can't copy it to my startup disk, not from the disk image, not from my other drives. I still get the same error message, sometimes it refers to a file inside the application package, sometimes to the package itself.

You may safely ignore a message that contains "permissions are 33261". This document applies to Mac OS X 10.2.2 or later.

In Disk Utility (Mac OS X 10.2.2 through 10.2.8), you see the message: "We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/hfs.util.
New permissions are 33261"

In Disk Utility (Mac OS X 10.3.3 or later), you may see the message: "We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util.
New permissions are 33261"

This is a status message and not a cause for concern. You may safely ignore it.

TommyWillB said:
Maybe some sort of copy protection?

I wouldn't think so. Vuescan is shareware and of course you would have to copy it to startup disk to use it. I use it here as an example, other applications have been acting the same way.

I don't remember seeing other files than application packages acting this way. Usually some file inside the application package triggers the error, privileges given to the package itself don't apply to every file inside the package. Solution might be to manually check every file and correct the privileges but that's really slow and not really a long term solution. It also seems that this is not a wide spread problem, I haven't found anyone else with this problem, maybe my os x installation is somehow screwed up.

Back