I killed my iTunes!

djbeta

Registered
I was having trouble with iTunes, so I figured I'd try trashing it and reinstalling since it's a free download..

bad idea.. now the free download installer will not install.. when it gets to the dialog that asks me what I would like to intall, it says.... "skipped" next to the iTunes application and won't let me turn it on..

I tried copying over a version of iTunes from another computer so that I'd have an application to update, but that didn't work.

Any ideas for me ??? or.. any idea where I might be able to find a full installer for iTunes ?

Simply remove the "iTunes.pkg" file from /Library/Receipts and try installing again. The problem is that the iTunes installer looks in that folder to see whether iTunes already exists on your computer or not (since you can move the iTunes.app file anywhere, it would be silly to have the installer look EVERYWHERE for the actual iTunes application file -- instead, installers place "recepits" in that folder for easy searching.). Although you removed the iTunes application file, you left the receipt behind, so the installer thinks iTunes is still installed.

Do not remove any other files from there (although there may be one more iTunes-related .pkg file in there that needs removal) under any circumstances unless you know what you're doing. Removing the wrong .pkg file from there can render you unable to repair permissions, among other anomalies.

you weren't too descriptive of your initial problem in your first thread. what issues were you experiencing?

Well, given that you have nothing unusal in the way of audio software installed or questionable music file quality, I'd be inclined to suspect the circuitry or perhaps some sort of interference (perhaps associated with heat build-up or some other evironmental condition).

To troubleshoot, I'd try multiple sound sources. What happens when you play radio streams, podcasts, etc in iTunes does it happen then? Try playing the same music for extended periods using Quicktime (although I think iTunes may use Quicktime sub-system) and other players such as VLC, RealPlayer, etc. Do you detect noise when playing movies, DVD and clips, for extended times? What about the sound in games, like background score (if an option)?

If it is happening in other media sources/software, it most likely isn't iTunes. But something common to the media sub-system--perhaps OS or logic board.

Are you playing thru built-in speakers or speaker set? If your using a sub-woofer or amplified system it could be degradation or interference to the speaker system. You can test by playing thru the built-in speakers, if an option, or other speaker set. (I know this was addressed in other post but no response was given.)

Mark

Back