I need a good perl book

bighairydog

tail-wagging member
Hello,

I figured this was the best forum to post this in...

I'm already OK at programming - i.e. I know what all the control structures do, know what recursive functions are, and eat PHP for breakfast (it's actually rather nice on toast). I hate all the basics being re-explained to me at the beginning of every new language book I buy [A "Variable" is like a container for information] kind of thing.

Can anyone suggest a good book to learn perl that skips all the basics?

Ta,

Bernie :eek:)

ya this book is AWSOME: OREILLY'S Advanced Perl Programming

kinda advanced, sometimes way too hackish, try: OREILLY'S Learining Perl,
to get feel of the language. Yes it introduces the basics, but it also talks about some concepts u need to know in order to use Perl. Specially if your a Java/C++ dev.

Yep - O'Reilly is the way to go.

I've got several and they all helped me a load when I was learning it a while back.

Learning Perl (more basic stuff)

Programming Perl (good all rounder)

CGI Programming with Perl (useful for web oriented stuff)

Perl in a nutshell (not as useful as I hoped at the time)

"Perl5 Quick Reference", Michael O/ Foghlu/, 1996, Que Publications, 340 pages.

It's rated, on the Que scale, as Expert. It's a complete Perl5 commmand reference, and does include a section (allbeit a limited section) on program flow.

I didn't know any Perl at all, but I was quite familiar with C/++, PHP, Pascal etc, so falling into Perl with this book was rather easy.

25$ at my university bookstore.

(PS those / and \ on the author's name are accents, after the letters they fall on; I haven't figured out how to make accented letter on this workstation yet :confused: )

Originally read by g4bernie
% man perl
if you can read 100,000 lines of plain text then you're a legend ;o)

I suppose there are some versions of the perl man pages on the web which have had their formatting sorted out, but I prefer a hard copy.

It may interest y'all to know that my quest to learn perl, I've been so frustrated by the lack of time in which to do so that I'm going back to university - Masters in Computer Science at University College London... mmmmm classes on Java classes.

Bernie :eek:)

i have a couple perl books sitting around:
osborne's perl programmer's reference
pretty good book. quick explanation at the beginning of the types of variables in perl, filehandles, regular expressions, etc.
mostly a function reference. just look up any function by name
also includes a function reference for standard modules, some sample scritpts, perl command line options, and the compiler and dubugger
I found the osborne book to be a little too hard to use until i already knew some perl fundamentals. its one of those books whos explanation assumes you already know the answer and its just review, but thats pretty much like what the title of the book claims it will be

O'Reilly's Perl in a Nutshell
I liked this book a lot. Its a lot easier to figure things out the first time through, and it still works well as a reference book. its got all the info thats in osborne (at least, i haven't found anything missing yet) as well as sections on databases, network programming, cgi, perl/tk, win32 and perlscript
now that i've got this book, i hardly ever pick up the other one anymore. i just find the o'reilly a lot more useable. plus, its a classic ;)

however, its a lot more expensive that the osborne book... 34.95 vs. 16.99
which is why osborne was the first perl book i bought

however, the new edition of the o'reilly book just came out recently, so you might be able to find the old version (which was published in 99, by the way) on sale. i got it at barnes&noble for 8 bucks which is a great deal. that was a couple months ago, so they probably don't still have it, but check one of those bookstores that has mostly overstocks...

Back