I need help from the experts...

Imagine

Registered
Ok, here's the deal.

I have a G5 dual 2, which came stocked with a ATI 9600 video card.

I have 3 monitors.

1 Apple 20" Cinema Display (Solely DVI) 1680 x 1050
2 Envision EN9110 (DVI & VGA) 1280 x 1024

I have the Apple display connected to the ATI 9600 DVI Port.
I have one of the EN9110 connected to the ADC Port.

Question: If I purchased an ATI 9200 Radeon PCI card, and installed it in one of the slots, can I mirror the Apple Display on the second EN9110 display?

So whatever is displayed on the Apple Cinema, which is connected to the ATI 9600, I'd like displayed on the 2nd EN9110 monitor, which will be connected to the ATI 9200.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.
Dean

While I have only seen two monitors hooked up, the word is you can have more.
From The Help Center - http://www.sharpened.net/helpcenter/answer.php?19

"For a desktop computer, if you're using a Mac or running Windows 98 or later, you can hook up as many monitors as you have video cards. Basically, you need a separate connection for each monitor. So if you had 3 PCI slots open, you could add three video cards and three monitors, allowing you to have four total screens. Some video cards have connections for multiple monitors, which would allow you to connect even more displays to your computer. "

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for your response, but back to my original question: If I purchased an ATI 9200 Radeon PCI card, and installed it in one of the slots, can I mirror the Apple Display on the second EN9110 display?

Thanks again
Dean

Yes.

At least it should be in theory -- I don't know if Mac OS X will let you mirror to one monitor while extending the desktop to a different monitor, but it should be possible.

Hi ElDiabloConCaca,

Thx for your input. I purchased the ATI 9200, and it can't be done. See, I want to mirror only one of the monitors, but all of them end up getting mirrored. Sure, I can extend for example a picture across two monitors, but if I try to mirror the picture, all 3 monitors end up with the picture on the desktop, whereas, I'm only looking for monitors to mirror.

Any suggestion as to how to do this?

Also, if I connect my Apple 20" cinema display to the ATI 8600 PRO via DVI, and another Apple 20" cinema display to the same card via ADC, will both monitors give me a resolution of 1680 x 1050?

Thanks again
Dean

The answer is, I believe, Yes. Isn't 1680 x 1050 the native resolution of the Apple 20" displays?

Doug

dktrickey said:
The answer is, I believe, Yes. Isn't 1680 x 1050 the native resolution of the Apple 20" displays?

Doug

It worked. Connecting both monitors, one DVI and the other ADC, displays a resolution of 1680 x 1050.

Thanks for your help.
Dean

Imagine said:
Hi ElDiabloConCaca,

Thx for your input. I purchased the ATI 9200, and it can't be done. See, I want to mirror only one of the monitors, but all of them end up getting mirrored. Sure, I can extend for example a picture across two monitors, but if I try to mirror the picture, all 3 monitors end up with the picture on the desktop, whereas, I'm only looking for monitors to mirror.

Any suggestion as to how to do this?
Yep, you need a split cable instead, not a second video card. Just get yourself a video cable with one male and two female connectors and it'll work just fine. I've done that pretty often while running presentations on two external screens.

Back