I need to hook up to hdmi from MBP17

Your MacBook Pro has a mini DisplayPort connector, so best adapter for you is a mini DisplayPort to HDMI
You will get the best results with a single cable from one to the other.
MonoPrice will be the cheapest way to get that, and they will have what you want.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024603
This is a site that I ordinarily trust, but appears that they are struggling with security issues right now, and will not take credit card orders - there's more info at the monoprice site.

Dumb question: Will the DisplayPort (to HDMI) handle sound also, or would I need separate sound cabling?

There are some mini displayport to hdmi cables that support also sound. The catch is, they cost so much that you could add dozens of audio cables alongside the video cable.

You guys got me goin'! Bought a DisplayPort to HDMI (Best buy calls it DVI-D) 8' cable as it was an open pkg @ $20 off.

Plugged into MBP and TV. Used HDMI #2 and set TV to accept HDMI #2. Went to 'Displays' preferences. The TV will not show the MBP, nor will the MBP show the TV.

Tried most all of the resolutions--'Detect Displays'---Nothing.

What will make this work? Ideas?

Have you tried with another HDMI target, like monitor? Anyhow, my mini displayport -> HDMI "cable" (about three inches) works fine: when I plug it to my MBP the computer shows automatically either my monitor (Samsung) or my TV (Panasonic) on the display list and makes them the external display.

An idea: if your Macbook Pro has dual GPU (my has NVidia 9400 M and NVidia 9600M GT), try to use the other if it makes any difference.

I've got NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT.

TV (Sony HDTV) has HDMI 1. 3, & 3 plus PC. The PC port is VGA which I do not have--opting for HDMI instead as I thought that would be better.

Spent over 1/2 hour again today using every combo I can think of---nada!

Back