I own Char's Powerbook

lucasraggers

Rotterdam
I possibly own a Powerbook that previously belonged to Charr. It is surrounded by mysterious forces. When I hover my hand above it, it goes to sleep. I made a film about this strange phenomenon.

Anyone with a solution to this problem, mail me at lucas@macosx.nl

Charr's Powerbook (option-click > Save Linked File As)

Hmmmmm, very strange! Does your alubook have backlight keyboard? Did you turn off any kind of energy saving option? Since when is it doing so? I think you should send it back to Apple..

That is indeed strange... it seems as though the computer is confusing the backlit keyboard activation with the sleep function.

Try this: boot from the Mac OS X Install CD/DVD and when it asks you to select a language for installation (don't worry, we're not gonna reinstall just yet), try the hand trick again...

I'm thinking it may be somehow linked to a software glitch, so if it works properly booted from the CD/DVD (ie, doesn't go to sleep with the magic gesture) then it's probably a software glitch with your installation. If it does do it booted from the CD/DVD, then it could very well be a hardware problem, and I would suggest giving Apple a ring.

Does it do this ALL the time, or just on certain surfaces or under certain lighting conditions?

P.S.: Great music selection.

I reinstalled the powerbook yesterday and I found out that even after I formatted the harddisk in the installer, the problem still existed. So I think it's a hardware problem.

Wow, besides zapping the PRAM, I have no idea what you could do to fix that. And why would you want to? It's such a neat trick.

To zap the pram, hold down Apple-Option-P-R while it's starting up... you'll hear the Mac chime again.

Do you have any magnetic parts around the book or around your hand? I think there is some ferromagnetic "switch" in the hook of your lid that tells your alubook the lid is closed and he should sleep now.

As far as i can tell, the magnetic bit is just below the trackpad button, in the slot the the catch goes into. As you close the powerbook you can see the catch being pulled out of the slot above the screen as the screen gets close to the keyboard. Since lucas is moving his hand around the top-left corner of the keyboard, I can't believe its that.

As has been suggested, i think its a bad random connection somewhere inside, I would send it back to Apple, I hope its less than a year old/you have Applecare!

Good luck, and that was a cool little movie!

lucasraggers: I've heard about people that can't wear wristwatches because they die within shortperiod of time... you're not one of those, are you?! ;)

another question: you are not using a combination of several sleep and wake-up schedules to mess up with our minds, don't you? :)

Zammy-Sam said:
another question: you are not using a combination of several sleep and wake-up schedules to mess up with our minds, don't you? :)

that might be the problem. If not that is one neat trick. LOL

Keyboard backlight shorting out and causing the PB to sleep/wake.

Easy. Call Apple. Or take it to Apple Store/Official retailer and show them your magic trick.

Back