I thought LCD's didn't burn?

zen.state

Registered
I have a dell 20" widescreen attached to a mac mini. I noticed while rebooting today that the airport icon in the menu bar along with adium and quicksilver (all the icons that don't change or animate) were showing a slight trace of burn on the blue and gray background when rebooting. the menu icons like ram usage, cpu meter and net traffic (all the ones that change what they show) were not leaving a trace. this is evidence of burning no?

its an lcd connected via dvi and should not be doing this. besides, even if lcd's could burn my display is set to go to sleep after 10 min.

I don't understand.. why is happening? is there anything I can do?

LCD's are not subject to permanent damage due to image burn. You may see some persistent image, which will disappear (or relax) if you leave the power off for maybe 24-48 hours.
If you are still concerned, you could call Dell tech support.

yes the longer you leave the screen up and running you will see this. But I have found no mater what size the LCD is just power it off for anywhere from 15 to 120 mins the back on. you allso can make that time drip of you power down the LCD then put it some where cool not cold. cool being anywhere from 45F to 60F, that will help let the LCD cool down.

The term 'burn' doesn't really apply here. Maybe call it 'after-image', or what it is - a residual image.

Back