i tunes prob

skintone

Registered
Hey there.. I have been using the i tunes 2 in x no probs, cept in x now it wont boot my xternal FW drive with all my Mp3s on it, so i booted into 9, i DLed the new itunes 2 for os9, and it sux...
only cos it seems to jump or stop and straight away restart, like an instant pause, seems to happen mainly when i am using the cpu for other proceses ?
HOW can i fix this???

i have ibook 600mghz with 384 ram....
i tunes seemed to sound alot better on my last ibook (dual usb 500 mghz) ... seems weird..
Any suggestions?
cheers:confused:

Can anyone suggest anything here??? I am just trying to play mp3's in os 9 and it SKIPS, and JUMPS when i move the cursor and do other processes.. Weird. i DLed soundjam and tried it, and it pretty much has the same problem...
I must have something set wrong... Any ideas???
PLease help!!!
thx

I'll start off with the assumption that your MP3s play alright elseware, and that you recorded them yourself ... keep in mind that a lot of MP3s downloaded from JoeRandomPir8 suck .. scratched CDs ripped with lousy encoding software are the #1 cause for pops, clicks, squeels, and general audio crud in mp3s.

Here's what I can think of:
Are you running on battery or AC when this happens (does it make a difference)?
If you boot with the OS 9 standard set of extensions, is there any difference?
And what kind of FW drive do you have, and what drivers are you using (apple standard drivers or Bill the PC Programmer's Firewire HDD Drivers)?

Have you tried turning off iTunes effects, like crossfade & the sound enhancer? Are you using the equalizer? How about the battery saver? Have you tried turning it on or off?

If it works ok in X, it might be memory related; you probably know that X and 9 have radically different memory and process scheduling techniques. Try the old fashioned Increase iTunes Memory in OS 9, see if that does anything.

It's probably going to be a matter of tweaking things until you find something that makes it stop :confused:

ok, thanks for the reply, some of that i have tried some i will try..
Yeah i rip my own cd's at a highbitrate (well 192) and they sound and work great in i tunes in osx, but in os 9 something is wrong with audio in general i think, as the same thing happens when i am using other software that auses audio.. like it skips when i try and do other process like moving scroll bars and opening and closing folders.. YEah this is with powerAC not battery and i have tried with VM and without.. something seems amis in os9 for me.
thanks for your help, ill keep playing with it when i go home tonight.

excuse me if i am wrong, but isn't the bigger problem here that you can't access the firewire drive? You are not the only one to report the disappearing firewire trick. Perhaps you should post that problem as it is probably one that alot of group members are dealing with right now. you might even want to post it in osx general discussion since primarily x users would even want the upgrade in the first place. Luckily this didn't happen to me, my fw is fine so far.

try this though, see if your drive gets recognized when you hotplug it after launching rather than having it connected at osx boot.

nah that prob has seemed to have fixed itself, the FW hd mounts each time now in x or 9 so thats cool.. was annoying as hell when it wasn't mounting tho.. Glad it is mounting now.
I think my sound prob in 9 is a memory problem maybe.. i'll have to keep sussing.. just when im doing some processes like draggin and opening in os9 my audio skips and jumps
;-/
more l8a as it happens :)

fixed itself? that sounds great !! wish my problems would all do that!! time - the great healer.:D

Hi.. YEah well i am still experiencing the same problems in os9, that is i play audio apps or mp3s or whatever and when i am doin other processes the sound skips and jumps.. Sounds really bad..
I dunno what to do to fix it, nothing has seemed to work yet,,i have tried adjusting the memory to the apps and tryin VM and no VM etc
In osx my audio and sounds don't skip at all...
I am usin latest osx and os9.2.2 i think it is...I am on a 600mghz ibook with 384 ram
So frustrating...

Back