I want to switch but...

Duc996

Registered
I REALLY want to switch from Windows to a Mac but I have a problem. My daughter has Type I diabetes and her Insulin Pump and blood glucose meter must be hooked up to the computer to program them and read their data for record keeping. The program is a Windows only program from Medtronic Minimed. It's called ParadigmPAL 3.0. I called them (Minimed)and asked them if their product would work through Parallels or Boot Camp or Virtual PC and they were COMPLETELY clueless on what these were. In fact they had never heard of ANY Mac users utilizing their product(s). I cannot consider purchasing a Mac unless it can run this program and also run a web Java program on the Minimed web site that REQUIRES IE and only IE (no firefox or anything else) grrrrrrrrrrrr.

https://carelink.minimed.com/

Man this is frustrating. Am I stuck with a Windows box forever? I don't want to have two desktops in the house either. Is there anyway I can figure out if these proprietary programs will work under Parallels (preferred) or Boot Camp? My concern with Parallels stems from what I keep reading about USB problems. The Insulin pump and the blood glucose meter both hook up to the computer via a USB cable. I also have 15 years of DETAILED Quicken data that I've heard will not correctly translate to the Mac version of Quicken. I've heard that Quicken for Windows runs fine through Parallels so that sounds easier, as well as more convenient, than a hard reboot as in Boot Camp each time I want to use Quicken or the Insulin program. I'm a Mac novice and would like ANY comments about my considerations.

Thanks!

Are you serious? Your daughter's life depends on a particular configuration of software and hardware and you are trying to figure out a way to workaround these requirements?

A real Mac user would buy a Mac for himself. He would allow the Windows computer to do its job. He would also seriously consider reporting you to social services.

Not exactly the answer that you're looking for, but you could keep the Windows box and control it via "VNC." That's what I do - one screen, one keyboard, one mouse control both computers at the same time. It's like Parallels, only the interaction with the Windows box is slow. If you might be interested, reply back and I can give some more details. You can set it up free with Real VNC on Windows and Chicken of the VNC on Mac.

I found instructions on Quicken's site for transferring data from Windows to Mac (which I also have available if you can't find them online). The vast majority of my Quicken history didn't transfer correctly and I would have had to enter it manually. Ughh! I didn't switch Quicken.

I don't think you'll be able to download IE for Mac from MS anymore. You should be able to beg here for the installation package. It's floating around out there.

Good luck! Hope you're able to make the switch.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 30
For the Firefox work-around, there exists an extension or two that will imbed IE into Firefox (allowing Firefox to load IE-only sites). It works great in Windows (Firefox for Windows, imbedded IE in Windows), but I'm not sure if it would work in the Mac versions of both.

Just a thought.

I doubt the device would work with Parallels. As for Boot Camp, its compatibility with external devices is better than Parallels', but I have heard of problems, so I can't say anything with any confidence. In any case, Boot Camp is still a beta product, so it just can't be trusted for something so important. Even if you can prove that it works today, it might break in the future.

So, for all intents and purposes, the answer is "no".

If you want a Mac, plan on keeping the PC around. As Minckster said, VNC might be a good way to control both the machines from one interface. You could also use a KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch to use the same set of peripherals to control both machines, and switch between the two.

Take that hardware (including your daughter) and software to an Apple Store or a store selling Macs and tell them your problem. If they have a Mac around which has Parallels installed or Windows through BootCamp, they might just let you simply try it. Unless there's a user on this board actually having tried it, all we can say are things like "it might/should work" - but in the end it'll be you who has to try it.

If it _does_ work through Parallels (and chances are, I'd say, about 50%), I guess that'd be a sleek solution indeed. Your Mac will need a little more RAM, of course, because both Mac OS X and Windows will run side by side - and you don't want to slow down either system too much by giving it less memory.

I have to side with MisterMe on this one. I wouldn't even be considering this as an option. If they gave you this computer specifically for this function, and for your daughter, then I would leave it alone. Personally, that computer should only be doing what it's supposed to do for your daughter and nothing else. If you want a Mac, I think you're going to have to do away with the idea of not wanting two computers and purchase a Mac if you want a Mac badly. LEave that computer to do only the things that need to be done for her, and have everything else done on the Mac. Heck, I wouldn't even be using that computer for anything personal....just for your daughter as a dedicated medical machine. At least that's waht I would do if any of my 2 kids (or rather, 3 since one is on the way) required something like this.

Even if this is your personal computer and you needed this to run properly on the platform it was designed for, I would make the effort to keep that dedicated to your daughter and get another computer for general use, be it a Mac OR a PC.

That's just my opinion on the subject. Feel free to do whatever you want with it.

@ Misterme. Maybe I overstated the function of the PC. The PC is only a relative new tool in diabetes management. You are trained to do the entire treatment regiment via pencil and paper (which we have been doing for the last 10 years). It is only recently that you have been able to tranfer the data from the two devices to a computer. The Pump also doesn't "require" a PC but it makes the programming a breeze instead of doing it via the pump itself. In the program you get big screens with dropdown menus instead of trying to finger punch all the data via the small, pager sized, pump with only 5 buttons. There is no life/death need for the computer but it GREATLY makes life easier.

That said you guys are right. I should plan on keeping the windows machine until I'm sure that the Mac will work. My frustration with windows and its incessant requirment for virus/firewall/upkeep-functions really came to boil this week and I let these feelings cloud my judgment. I was also really confounded by the Medtronic folks who were COMPLETELY clueless on Macs (not that I'm anything other than a novice) but I would have thought they would have been able to give me an informed answer. I find it hard to believe that I'm the first to ask this question.

Thanks for the advice.

You might also get an answer if you ask Parallels' people. They surely have some idea on what kind of USB devices work and why. Maybe they can specifically tell you what to ask the device maker about the protocols used etc. - But again, I guess testing it would be easiest. Maybe find a person in your neighbourhood with an intel Mac?

Yes I had the same problem. I upgraded to the Medtronic 522 CGMS system that has the carelink online system. I was a MAC user in the past and do not have a PC in the house - and was AMAZED at the lack of support for MACs within Minimed!!! They had NO IDEA other then to say "no". They are not sure if development is in progress. How can such a large and such an international company be so ignorant to the world of MACs with their software!? So to say the least, I have made a hefty investement for my new insulin pump, and can not utilise the online software to analyse the data, because I use a MAC. I calles technical support and they said to install Windows XP on my MACbook --> I choose MAC years ago for a reason --> to get away from PC windows!!

Either way, the technical support persons told me to run Windows XP on my Macbook (intel chip) - and I may need a serial adaptor for the USB port, something that MAC/apple sells. It seems they feel by installing Windows XP on the Macintel, the software will work - BUT I am still in the process of trying. I already spent the $$$$ on the pump - to cough up more for the software and cables, is not going to happen yet......but I will keep posted.

First, let me preface by saying that I'm a Type 1 diabetic myself hooked to a Minimed Paradigm 712. I use the PAL software regularly. Second, I'm a computer engineer by trade and own several PC's and four Intel-based Macs.

You shouldn't have any problems running the Minimed software under Windows XP once it's installed via Boot Camp. I don't have it running as I post this, but I'll install it in the morning just to make sure. Realize that the USB interface for the glucometer is just a simple serial->USB adapter, so there's not much to it. Interfacing a PocketPC to a Mac is *far* more difficult.

There are other options for diabetes management software for MacOS, however: http://www.mendosa.com/software.htm has a very complete list of packages for every platform. Two standouts:

http://thebodyjournal.com/
http://www.healthengage.com/

The sticky widget may be the wonky BD meter that Minimed uses: nobody except them seems to support it. As of two weeks ago, I'm using a Dexcom STS now (www.dexcom.com) so I no longer use the BD meter. I can tinker with it and the PAL software without any undue risks to myself.

With regards to your second point, you won't lose any transactions when you convert to Quicken for Mac. I spent the better part of my afternoon today doing it, as I'm in the process of making my Mac Pro my primary desktop system. The only thing that doesn't convert over is your Memorized Transaction list. I had quite a few of these, so it was something of a pain to re-key them all. The Quicken documents on migrating between versions clearly spells out what does and doesn't transfer.

With regards to your second point, you won't lose any transactions when you convert to Quicken for Mac. I spent the better part of my afternoon today doing it, as I'm in the process of making my Mac Pro my primary desktop system. The only thing that doesn't convert over is your Memorized Transaction list. I had quite a few of these, so it was something of a pain to re-key them all. The Quicken documents on migrating between versions clearly spells out what does and doesn't transfer.
Seeing that your experience was so much better than mine, I thought I'd try again to move to Quicken for Mac. I noticed one thing that really gives me pause: The Quicken documents on migrating between versions clearly say that 401(k)s do not exist in Quicken for Mac. :confused: Did you transfer any 401(k) data?

The following components of your Quicken for Windows data file will not convert to Quicken for Mac:

* Scheduled Transactions
* QuickFill Transactions
* Loan Setups
* Online Account Setups
* Online Payee Lists
* Memorized Reports
* Security Price Histories
* Account types that do not exist in Quicken for Mac follow:
o 401(k)
o ESPP
o ESOP
o Accounts Receivable
o Accounts Payable
* Home & Business specific features
* Tax status of Investment accounts

Source: Converting data from Quicken for Windows to Quicken for Mac.
[For general knowledge: The instructions for migrating from Quicken 2005 for Windows to Quicken for Mac appear onscreen for a second before automatically switching to another page. If someone needs those instructions, please let me know. The fact that Quicken hides them may explain my problems in migrating my data from 2005 for Windows to Mac.]

Actually, I didn't. I probably should be tracking 401K data in Quicken, but I use Fidelity's website instead.

Are you serious? Your daughter's life depends on a particular configuration of software and hardware and you are trying to figure out a way to workaround these requirements?

A real Mac user would buy a Mac for himself. He would allow the Windows computer to do its job. He would also seriously consider reporting you to social services.

Actually, he didnt' say he wasn't using the PC, he was lamenting the fact that minimed does not support other browsers...

Don't create a flame when there isn't any fire but the spark you are creating...

As a diabetic, I have to agree that limiting use of a service associated with a device that you manufacture and sell (for a tidey sum I might add) should come with support for a wide variety of methods to access a web-based service.

Simple css and html would provide a cross-platform base from which everyone receives a benefit.

And yes, they are providing a service as well as a product. We like the product, just not the service (as much as we could)...

Counsel

You just fell down the reviving-old-threads-trap. Obviously, you try to put out a fire that was long gone, anyway.

I REALLY want to switch from Windows to a Mac but I have a problem. My daughter has Type I diabetes and her Insulin Pump and blood glucose meter must be hooked up to the computer to program them and read their data for record keeping. The program is a Windows only program from Medtronic Minimed. It's called ParadigmPAL 3.0. I called them (Minimed)and asked them if their product would work through Parallels or Boot Camp or Virtual PC and they were COMPLETELY clueless on what these were. In fact they had never heard of ANY Mac users utilizing their product(s). I cannot consider purchasing a Mac unless it can run this program and also run a web Java program on the Minimed web site that REQUIRES IE and only IE (no firefox or anything else) grrrrrrrrrrrr.

https://carelink.minimed.com/

Man this is frustrating. Am I stuck with a Windows box forever? I don't want to have two desktops in the house either. Is there anyway I can figure out if these proprietary programs will work under Parallels (preferred) or Boot Camp? My concern with Parallels stems from what I keep reading about USB problems. The Insulin pump and the blood glucose meter both hook up to the computer via a USB cable. I also have 15 years of DETAILED Quicken data that I've heard will not correctly translate to the Mac version of Quicken. I've heard that Quicken for Windows runs fine through Parallels so that sounds easier, as well as more convenient, than a hard reboot as in Boot Camp each time I want to use Quicken or the Insulin program. I'm a Mac novice and would like ANY comments about my considerations.

Thanks!

Hit Circuit City and pick up a $399 laptop on sale. I did that for my GPS.

There are plenty of Type I diabetics that can maintain serum glucose homeostasis without a computer.

That said if a work around can be found on a Mac that would of course be useful. If not, stick with a PC.

I am inclined to agree with MisterMe (although the reference to social services was unnecessary).

http://drea-girlonthego.blogspot.com/2006/12/using-carelink-and-your-mac.html

Other solutions:
1. The internet tab idea posted above is useless for macs.
2. The KVM switch is a good idea if you have both mac and PC. I do this.
3. According to that guy I mention above, you can do it with a modern mac that has a intel chip and allows running of OS X and Windows. This is apparently a totally unsupported idea.
4. "someday" the hackers who are trying to write opensource versions of IE will give us access via Wine.

D

I'm in the same boat as you are....about to switch but tied to the PC for my hisband's diabetes management...did you ever get it to work on the mac?

Back