I was just given a G4 733 (digital audio)

CCorsair

Registered
Hi all i was just given a working G4 system that was set up for Final
cut video production but the DVR/DVD burner which is a Pioneer bran is
not reading the CD or disk or burning anything.
I tried to replaced with a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109 it works for all but
the burning the error said it can used this hardware or can not
identify hardware.. this sounds like a driver error but I worked with
drive and part that have the Apple logo when i worked at Apple on the
like as a Re-work tech on the line and this model came out just after i
left in mid -2000 so i not had much time with this type system as we
never had fans on the heat sink of any of the G4 system I worked on so
i taking this system need that extra cooling

this system is running OS 9.2.2 as i updated the OS its has only 256
megs of ram(PC133) and 2 video cards the Nvidia 32 meg and a Matrox 32
meg and has Final cut and ton of other software for video production
and the second keyboard for running the edit and cuts and all.
The person that gave it to me paid $7K for it from B&H video they sell
pro video equipment and they sold this system to my friend some time
back.

I need to know what model DVD -RW will work to replace and what
updates can be done to the system that would make it ready to do video
again (the DVD burner is one of those things)
The tower has been sitting unused for bit but is in great shape still
runs nice and fast for an OS 9 system and the case is in very great
shape as well (I always love this tower design it was the best ) the
Final cut version is 2 it has some other software for cuts and wipes
and fonts and all for TV out put but no HD i feel can be done unless
we update the video cards and CPU I would think.

Ok well if any one has info on why the DVD i have won't work and how I
can make it work or what one will work PLEASE let me know

Thanks

CC

Not sure why the DVD writer isn't burning, but you should be able to stick pretty much any compatible DVD-RW internal drive into it (as you may know, it's a little fiddly, but not too bad to install – I've owned this model). If you can get your hands on RAM that old, you'll be able to stick maybe 2Gb in it, and then it'll run OSX 10.4 or maybe even 10.5 just fine (possibly with an install hack). MAKE SURE YOU RUN ALL FIRMWARE UPDATES NEEDED BEFORE INSTALLING OSX THOUGH as this needs to be done in OS9.x.

Ram is not problem PC133 is easy to find in some of my shops I get my surplus from. Its getting the darn thing to burn and not worry about the OS just yet (the older software for the video editing and all is still needed for now )
I going to move the Pioneer into the systems and see if i can find TOAST as some one said that should fix that but not sure if that is going to work in OS 9.2.2.
AS I said this Mac was to be used by Video photographer but they just could not seem to get the hang of the video and i am wondering if the DVD was DOA as he seem to have never burn any videos that he can remember.

I was thinking i could get more memory into the 3 slots than 1.5 gigs.my Surplus shop has tons of stuff and i just noted they have some of the same Mac keyboards and mice(the clear G4 tower ones) I may get new one as I am not liking the look of the USB cords on the ones that came with this Mac and we found as I work at Apple that the wires in the cords for the keyboards would break down if not care for right or re-used (plugged in over and over)
I never trusted them much to work for long my self Ishould add tape to the cord near the USB plug to keep from braking.

Thank for the info

CC

Yes. The DVD drive should be jumpered as the master drive if it's the only drive on the bus. If it's not the only drive on the bus, then it should be jumpered as either master or slave, depending on how the other device on the bus is jumpered (if the other device is master, jumper the DVD as slave... and vice-versa).

Back