I wonder where these Apple terms came from.

PHARAOHk

Registered
Why are some of the Apple lines called Macintosh? I am thinking there is some cool story. Also what does the i infront of everything mean. You know like ical and imovies etc.
(((k)))

ok well theres the easy ansewer: a "macintosh" is a type of apple.
or there is the complex apple logo secret meaning thingy: The guy who invented the first computer (or maybe it was the first personal computer [can't remember]) but he committed suicide by taking a bite out of an arsenic inlaced macintosh apple so thats why the apple logo has a bite taken out of it and why they named most of thier computers "Macintosh"

Now the "i" thing started with the iMac whitch was suposed to be short for Internet Macintosh but now steve has gone crazy and stuck "i" in front of everything

hope thats helpful :)

That sounds like a fascinating story, Jet. I will have to look into that!

I like the story behind the Apple Lisa. When Steve found out he was going to have a daughter with his new-ager girlfriend, he said something like "I don't want her to be called flower-sunchild or something like that. The world's hard enough without having to carry a weird name." So they agreed on Lisa.
The Lisa computer was named after his baby daughter.

i don't think the i even started with apple. it was just used to denote an internet related device. in short, i=internet. but like jet said, it's gotten way out of hand.

Originally posted by Jet
The guy who invented the first computer (or maybe it was the first personal computer [can't remember]) but he committed suicide by taking a bite out of an arsenic inlaced macintosh apple so thats why the apple logo has a bite taken out of it and why they named most of thier computers "Macintosh"

I'll never be able to look at the shiny Apple logo on my 17 inch iMac in the same way ever again...

Don't know the origin of the Macintosh name, but the first iMac was indeed named that to denote how easy it is to get on the internet with it.

I read an old interview with Jobs and he said that he worked in an apple orcherd and considered apples to be the perfect food. So he named his company... He also said they put the bite in there because it looked to much like an orange. I am much to lazy to find that article but yeah that first post was interesting. Maybe they thought of naming every model after a kind of apple? But I don't think granny smith and red delicious(only ones I can think of) make the greatest of computer names.

(((k)))

I have heard about Lisa, and about Steve Jobs working in an orchard, but I have never heard the story about the arsenic-laced apple. Interesting.

I have always wondered, too, if Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak had to pay the Beatles to use the name Apple. By the time the first Apple debuted, the Beatles' Apple Corp. partnership had been disolved, but they should have still owned the rights to the name. Does anyone know?

Has Apple paid Apple Corp. royalties all these years?

I think it is funny that the real internet apps don't have an "i" at the beginning of their names (Mail, Safari and Sherlock).

Alan Turing is given much credit for creating the first electronic computers as a result of his, along with many others, attempts to crack the Enigma code used by the Nazis to transmit orders and the like during W.W.II. He did committ suicide in the 1950's by ingesting a poison apple. While there is little information about why he killed himself, it is believed by most that he could no longer take the persecution he sufferred for being gay. Whether this is where Apple got it's name, I cannot say, but I figured I'd shed some light on the story. Read the only biography of this fascinating and brilliant man,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-7304385-7164122?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Originally posted by Gregita
Has Apple paid Apple Corp. royalties all these years?

Ah, yes, let's not forget the Beatles' company.... When Apple computer came upon the scene, the two companies agreed that it would be okay, as long as Apple Computer didn't do anything having to do with music.

However, they started adding more sophisticated sound capabilities to Macs, somehow, Apple Computer got away with it. I forget if they settled that in court or whatever.... however, the programmers had a little fun with this one... they thought it was absurd that the two companies could possibly be confused with each other, so, when naming sound effects in the Mac, they made one funny statement- "So sue me".... aka "Sosumi"

I always thought that the Apple logo is the "apple of knowledge", the forbidden fruit of knowledge as in the bible!

The suicide story might make more sense though...:)

Originally posted by PHARAOHk
Why are some of the Apple lines called Macintosh? I am thinking there is some cool story. Also what does the i infront of everything mean. You know like ical and imovies etc.
(((k)))
"Macintosh" was the internal code name for Apple's inexpensive GUI-based computer during its development. At the time, Apple used the names of apple varieties for its internal code names. By the time the new computer was ready for sale, the code name had already been widely publicized. Apple kept the code name as the brand for the shipping product.

Macintosh is both an apple-brand (as in apples you can digest) and got the MAC in it (Mouse Activated Computer).

According to Steven Levy in his book "Insanely Great" (pg 109), "...Macintosh was Jef Raskin's baby. He even named it. Raskin believed that bestowing a woman's name on a computer was a sexist act, ... The Macintosh apple was Raskin's favorite, and thus worthy of being a working code name... after some deft negotiating with the McDonald's fast-food chain on the status of trade names prefixed 'Mac," it became the computer's true name."

You gotta love it when there are so many theories going around for the company logo. That just shows how fun and creative the Mac community is...I doubt Dell has any story about how they got their logo. (I take that back, maybe there's some fascinating story about an intern knocking over a sign and tilting an "E").

Originally posted by Saitama
According to Steven Levy in his book "Insanely Great" (pg 109), "...Macintosh was Jef Raskin's baby. He even named it. Raskin believed that bestowing a woman's name on a computer was a sexist act, ... The Macintosh apple was Raskin's favorite, and thus worthy of being a working code name... after some deft negotiating with the McDonald's fast-food chain on the status of trade names prefixed 'Mac," it became the computer's true name."

Hmm, that's interesting about Raskin naming the Mac. The "Macintosh" as we know it (gui based) was NOT the comptuer that Raskin had in mind and eventually led to his leaving Apple and creating what he had originally envisioned the Macintosh to be. This computer was sold through Canon and was called the Cat. It was significantly different than the original Mac (no gui for starters).

Back