I wouldn't have guessed...

Which Instant Messenger client do you use most?

  • Fire

  • AOL Instant Messenger

  • ICQ

  • MSN Messenger

  • Other...

  • I don't have friends...


Results are only viewable after voting.

twyg

Back to Mac Baby!
Interesting nugget 'o info...

I have the CPU monitor running in my dock in the extended mode. I was plugging away working when I realized my user load was at 100%...

Something is running, let me give it a second, and five minutes later it's the same thing. After shutting things down one by one, and reopening one by one it seems that both AOL Instant Messenger, and to a smaller degree ICQ both take up a steady (total) 25% of the user cpu load. Fire does not. It in fact uses on average (idling) .6%.

Two points taken from ICQ, and AOL IM.
Ten points to Mr. Peyton!

Just thought it would help those people so curious about the LaunchCFMapp. That's how I caught them. I don't think they close it down properly, and that's why suddenly you've got 47 LaunchCFMapp's... (theory of course)

Later...
 

FaRuvius

Hardest Flusher
I use AOL's official client and now Adium.

I used to use Fire, but i don't have any use for ICQ/MSN/etc. So I switched to Adium, which focuses on AOL.

My girlfriend has AOL at home, so I have the official AOL client loaded so that she is comfortable IM'ing from my place.

If someone has been using AOL for a long time, no matter how many features a clone has, they just want their AOL.


FaRuvius
 

ksv

web developer
I use Mail :D
I don't understand the point about those instant messengers when you've got email and irc, and possibility to set Mail to check your mail every minute...
 

theed

Registered
Mail is not IM. Mail is set to get to its destination within 24 or 48 hours. If you think you can reliably use mail the way you do IM, you're kidding yourself. Also, by the way mail walks, everyone checking their mail can be a crazy burden on the system. IM is here for a reason, it's point to point personal communication. I beg you, don't set your mail client to check for mail every minute unless you personally own the mail server. I own mine, but I still only grab evey 15 minutes.

As for AOL's IM, I've been reporting to them that they are using way too much processor time for a couple of yeears now. It's usually related to the ad display engine. IM is really nice on my processor if I close its windows, or if a non-animated ad happens to be in place at that time. Yell at AOL. I do. My voice alone has not reaped proper benefits.

And if ANY of the IM clients starts to do speech properly, I'll use that. speaking while the app is in the background, different voices per user, speaking the text of the message, I swear this was a feature in AOL v2 for the Mac, waaaaay back in the day.
 

themacko

Barking at the moon.
Admiral- how do you use Yahoo! in X? I looked but I couldn't find a download for it ... unless you are using the Java version.
 

Red Phoenix

Registered
I know this is strange, but I often have ICQ, MSN, AIM, and Excite Messenger open at the same time. I like Fire, but each messenger has different things I like about it. Heck, I don't even know anyone else on the Excite Messenger, but it's got a bunch of other features besides IMing that make it worthwhile.

They all, of course, tend to use up the processor after a while.
 

ksv

web developer
Originally posted by theed
Mail is not IM. Mail is set to get to its destination within 24 or 48 hours. If you think you can reliably use mail the way you do IM, you're kidding yourself. Also, by the way mail walks, everyone checking their mail can be a crazy burden on the system. IM is here for a reason, it's point to point personal communication. I beg you, don't set your mail client to check for mail every minute unless you personally own the mail server. I own mine, but I still only grab evey 15 minutes.
No, actually it's set to check every 5 minutes :rolleyes: , and I'm not having Mail open when I'm not using the mac, of course.
And I'm PAYING for my email account, so I feel myself free to do anything I want with it :D
Yes, I am using email the way other people use IM. And that works fine. All my emails arrives in seconds. Yes, that's true

One more thing about IM that I hate is that it is soooo many different kinds of it. All my friends are using different IM clients.

There are only ONE kind of email and only ONE kind of chat servers.
That's the way it should be.
 

ksv

web developer
And, if I should have an useless IM client running in the background all the time, it would mess up my SETI crunching... ;)
 

theed

Registered
I'm working under the assumption that AOL plans to fix this CPU issue:

VM: 3.02G + 49.7M 8984(0) pageins, 3189(0) pageouts

PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VS
339 AOL Instan 52.0% 7:53.74 10 132 173 5.84M 10.4M 11.8M 1
358 top 10.5% 0:01.66 1 14 15 284K 244K 524K 1.
341 TruBlueEnv 5.2% 9:04.51 19 183 234 27.6M 14.2M 39.8M 1.

But as for everyone using different messengers, there should be only AIM. It was first, biggest, and has been free for quite some time. Everyone else has been copying, ar trying to steal from AOL's userbase. Anyone who uses MSN Messenger is a soulless clone. The other ones ore just weak. The multi clients like fire are cool, but I only use AIM.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
 

ksv

web developer
I think ICQ is the coolest ;)
I have an ICQ number; 100335000, but I never use it. Anyone wants to buy it :D?
 

Rhino_G3

Registered
Originally posted by theed
I'm working under the assumption that AOL plans to fix this CPU issue:

VM: 3.02G + 49.7M 8984(0) pageins, 3189(0) pageouts

PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VS
339 AOL Instan 52.0% 7:53.74 10 132 173 5.84M 10.4M 11.8M 1
358 top 10.5% 0:01.66 1 14 15 284K 244K 524K 1.
341 TruBlueEnv 5.2% 9:04.51 19 183 234 27.6M 14.2M 39.8M 1.

But as for everyone using different messengers, there should be only AIM. It was first, biggest, and has been free for quite some time. Everyone else has been copying, ar trying to steal from AOL's userbase. Anyone who uses MSN Messenger is a soulless clone. The other ones ore just weak. The multi clients like fire are cool, but I only use AIM.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Actualy I remember using the first ALPHA version of ICQ myself a long time ago (then I was running a PC :eek: )
I've tried AIM and to tell you the truth I felt I was going to puke... the interface is horrid, I hate the "chat" type atmosphere. I love being able to open up individual messages and not having to have an open chat window all the time. If I want to do that ICQ has the chat feature.

LONG LIVE ICQ!!!! :D
 

WoLF

For President
ive also had problems with Fire in 10.1

Has anyone gotten it to work? It loads for like 5 seconds and then unexpectedly quits. i think it is the b26? or whatever is newest. PLEASE tell me someone has gotten it to work!
 

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
WOW this thread grew while I was taking my midterm exam :p

Anyway, I tried to find an OS X version nut no luck. I use the OS 9 one under classic. Yahoo just seriously sucks though. This week they rolled out version 5 on the winblows side, and the mac version is just so ghetto and feature deprived.

I also use many IMs at one time because each one has a different feel and features to it which FIRE lacks. I like the idea of having all of em in one app, but I want the features they provide too, as well as the "look"

I dont have excite messenger. I have MSN but sparingly use it. Also have AOL but its the same as MSN in use. Odigo sees even less use :p

Admiral
 

uoba

Re: member
except all of you (but I ain't spending my time using those Instant Message things with ya!):D
 

macavenger

Registered
Originally posted by WoLF
ive also had problems with Fire in 10.1

Has anyone gotten it to work? It loads for like 5 seconds and then unexpectedly quits. i think it is the b26? or whatever is newest. PLEASE tell me someone has gotten it to work!
Works for me. Version 0.27.a Beta (v0.26.b)
 
Top