IBM - Lenovo - Apple (combined thread)

One overblown international corporation with its eye on world domination is much the same as any other. Who cares who buys IBM? Who cares what chip Apple uses in their Macs? just as long as I can keep using OS X, I really don't care!

So says CQ – non hardware-elitist :p

Well, I don't see much intelligent speculation in the article. I guess the author's chain of work went down like this:

1.) Hey! IBM *COULD* buy Apple now they're selling their PC division

(error one: they sold it to focus on server/workstation, where there's more growth, so just replacing their own - successful - PC division with the 'hazard' Apple probably represents in the business right now...)

2.) Okay, now let's find _any_ clues that I could link to my incredibly insightful thought of "Hey, IBM *COULD* buy Apple!"

Although I'd _like_ to be wrong here, I don't think there's _any_ reason to have follow-up thoughts on the idea of that author.

It's just wild speculation. There's no evidence to back it up. He might have well said that Kraft or DuPont was planning to buy Apple. They've got several billion more dollars than IBM does.

It seems as though a lot of jounalists are hopping on the "who is gonna buy who" bandwagon in the last few years. Just because a company has enough money to purchase another doesn't mean it's feasible, likely, or beneficial. Especially with such a weak link as "hey, they use IBM processors!"

I didn't read the whole let's buy apple thing. What I did see is that the alignment of the 2 companies in a partnership. IBM wouldn't buy another hardware/software company like apple. However, they could use their synergies to partner and enter into certain new markets. IBM is interested in increasing the circulation of Macs because of the use of its processors.

For $1.25 Billion, Lenovo bought IBM's PC Division. Check it here. Now what does this have to do with anything Apple? Well- on MacRumors, they had something interesting to say. They said that IBM could in fact work very closely with, if not buy, Apple. Now I know that IBM can't sell PC's for the next 5 years or whatever the agreement said, but I thought it was an interesting idea. Any thoughts?

I guess the big question is, why would Apple want to be bought? They're going through one of their best years, they're growing year-on-year, the future looks anything but bleak for Apple. So what advantage would being part of IBM bring?

MacRumors has updated their article saying that IBM is not to make/sell computers for five years or so, and that that's included with the Lenovo deal... I guess they mean desktops and notebooks only, since IBM certainly wants to sell servers and workstations...

Back