iBook bottom pads

Lazarus18

In debt medical student
Sorry if that that subject makes little sense. I shall explain. My biggest beef with Apple laptops is the rubber feet on the bottom to keep things from getting scratched up. My Pismo Powerbook had them all fall off after a few months, I think the heat makes the glue less sticky or something. At any rate my new iBook has just lost its first one after owning it for 4 days. And I think I really lost it, I can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone know if you can buy replacements anywhere, and if so how on earth to make them stay where they belong?

You should be able to get a replacement foot for your iBook at any place that does repairs to iBooks. These are removed for disassembly and often can't be re-used. They are not glued, just locked in place by tabs that are part of the foot.
If you get replacements, a tiny bit of clear sealer (similar to bathtub caulk) would help keep it in place, yet allow removal if that becomes necessary. Don't overdo the sealant, however.

You can also get a set of genuine replacement foot-pads from www.welovemacs.com - however I would instead recommend that you pick up a set of transparent-white, dome-shaped furniture protector pads in a size of 5-10mm from your local hardware, craft-supplies or electronics store. I use a set of 8mm dome ones on the rear-edge of my iBook and it gives better grip, tilts the keyoard slightly toward me, and also looks pretty good. It'll cost you around $2 to $3.

So I found an even better solution. I took my iBook to the Apple store here in Dallas and they took it in the back and returned it to me with a nice new foot on it. As they were wandering to the back with it I tried to tell them that I had only had it 4 days when it fell off, but they really didn't seem to care. Apple stores rule.

Yes, they rule indeed. Last week I had to explain to my Apple Store guy that our puppy had chewed through a video cable. I got a new video cable, no charge and no fuss and a "Was there anything else you needed?" to round it off.
I know this sort of above-and-beyond service is hard to maintain, but I appreciate the effort.

Back