ibook freezes

my ibook freezes every 10 sec.! i tried installing 10.3.2 on my ibook, and ever since, the computer has died every 10 sec.! i don't know what to do. i'm about to throw it out the window. i'm attempting to back it up, but it only copies 2 files at a time, then stalls again. i've run disk utiltiy a hundred times. it fixes the problem (temporarily) then it screws up again. ("invalid director item count (it should be 16 instead of 15))".

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sounds like you've got some hard drive problems. Boot from the Mac OS X install CD and run Disk Utility's "Repair Drive" (not a permissions repair, a disk repair) over and over until it reports no more errors. If it doesn't ever report no errors, then it sounds like your hard drive is going bad.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Sounds like you've got some hard drive problems. Boot from the Mac OS X install CD and run Disk Utility's "Repair Drive" (not a permissions repair, a disk repair) over and over until it reports no more errors. If it doesn't ever report no errors, then it sounds like your hard drive is going bad.

i've done that a hundred times already. it repairs the computer temporarily so i start up after being "repaired" then the stupid thing dies again after i start up and run it for 10 sec. then i repeat the process, over and over and over again. also, i am now attempting to bomb the HD and start over, but the Startup disk (install disk) will not get past select language option.

It's the "Disk Repair" option. You'll need to boot from the Mac OS X Install CD to be able to repair the disk, though. Once you boot from the OS X Install CD and the first window asking you to select a language appears, select "Disk Utility" from the "Installer" menu at the top. Then run the disk repair.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
It's the "Disk Repair" option. You'll need to boot from the Mac OS X Install CD to be able to repair the disk, though. Once you boot from the OS X Install CD and the first window asking you to select a language appears, select "Disk Utility" from the "Installer" menu at the top. Then run the disk repair.

AH. did that... a hundred times. ok, i've given up. i erased the entire computer and am now starting from scratch. there has to be an easier way! :(

If it continues to do it even after you reinstall, I would start suspecting something hardware-related, and I would start with the RAM first. Have you added extra RAM to the iBook, or, perhaps, did it come with some RAM installed? If so, try removing it and leaving the iBook with just the built-in memory and then testing the iBook. RAM-related problems are many with Panther.

Also, when you do reinstall, I would suggest installing on a cleanly formatted drive, and running Software Update immediately after you get done installing until no more updates show anymore. Leave all of them checked and just let SU do it's thing. When you're all the way back up to fully-installed clean system, repair permissions. Then, make a good effort to install all your applications one by one in the default locations (don't change the default install locations of your applications). When they're all installed, then run a permissions repair again (not in between each app install; that's pointless).

I would highly suggest not copying over old preference or application-settings files -- it doesn't take but a minute to set your app preferences, anyway, and it guarantees a cleanly written, non-corrupt preference file.

I've used this method many times and it always provides me with a good, clean, stable installation of software that keeps running error-free. It pays to be careful with an OS install and do it right other than hurry through it and miss a step and end up with an unstable application or system.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

ElDiabloConCaca said:
If it continues to do it even after you reinstall, I would start suspecting something hardware-related, and I would start with the RAM first. Have you added extra RAM to the iBook, or, perhaps, did it come with some RAM installed? If so, try removing it and leaving the iBook with just the built-in memory and then testing the iBook. RAM-related problems are many with Panther.

thanks. i've re-installed panther and did everything you said. so far it's working great. so far that is. i checked the ram, that didn't seem to be the problem. it sucks when you forget about things you wanted from your previous hd, such as my address book. looks like i'm finding new friends...
thanks
ian

it sucks when you forget about things you wanted from your previous hd, such as my address book.
That is why you should always have a backup of your important stuff.

Back