iBook G4 Airport Extreme Probs...

Jason

Eyebrow Moderator
Well my GF got a new iBook G4, which I told her would be fine with my WiFi network at home (wireless B... regular Airport) but when we get it all set up... it gets 2 or less or no bars, as compared to my G4 and iBook with regular Airport cards.

Its a linksys router, ive tried all sorts of stuff, cant figure it out. Any suggestions?

Have you tried reseating the card (and the antenna connector)? If you have tried the latest firmware and still no improvement, even when within inches of your base station, then you should take your ibook somewhere that can swap your AE card for testing, yours may be faulty.

ive tried reseating many times, i can try again, i still see a little chip board when its put in, is it supposed to be like that, or all the way in? i dont want to force it.

afaik firmware etc are all up to date

There is a tiny gap, perhaps 2 mm at the most. When you are seating this card, and pushing into position smoothly (no, don't force it, yet it is a firm fit), there is usually a faint 'click' when the card is all the way in place. But take it somewhere to someone who knows what they're looking at, and can compare to a working system. How is your signal when very close to the base station?

3 or 4 bars when basically right on top of the router, same room, its like 3 bars, down the hallway about 20 feet... 2 or 1 bar if any signal at all

i'll take a look at it again, i had a prob seating it, but it seated with a click finally when i originally installed it

Is signal robustness on? When I switched to an Extreme Station from a base after getting my G4 iBook in January, I got a much strong signal (and still do) from resetting the base and creating a new network and using that as opposed to the older one. And my old clamshell with the regular AirPort card also gets a better signal on this new network.
Also, simple things like raising the Station and moving it just a little bit out from a wall will help (I keep mine atop the CD towers in the living room corner where's it's high up but also unobstrusive).

reseated everything, updated firmware and still a crap signal. I know the card works, because if i run a network off my ibook or G4 it sees it... (although weaker than my other computers as well). Everything is installed correctly afaik.

Really frustrating :(

Back