ibook G4 collapse, please help!

felo500

Registered
Ok so I was trying to format my ibook's HD and I did a clean swipe with Techtool pro, which I figured was the right way to do it, apparently not, also I seem to have many a bad sector on my hd, which scared me a bit.

The main problem I seem to be having is that whenever i try and boot from a tiger cd it won't boot it'll go to the little folder in the center of the screen which flashes between the token question mark and the 2faced-drama-like-mac logo, also when I boot with the option key it doesn't show the hard drive (maybe cause I formatted it incorrectly) nor does it show the cd rom drive. I've reset the pram, that was successful. The tiger cd I have used is not the original cd which I will recover soon.

I have a gateway pc and I tried connecting it via target mode and got it to load the big yellow firewire logo on the screen but my pc laptop doesn't recognize it, I tried macdrive and nothing and also transmac and nothing.

What should/can I do, should I reformat using some other piece of software? Do I need a new hard drive? Did I format the HD incorrectly? Any kind if help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

felo
Edit/Delete Message

Well to boot from the tiger CD you must either have the original disk that came with the Mac or a retail version DVD.

Why were you going through all of those hoops just to format the drive? All you needed to use was Disk Utility from the installation discs that came with your iBook. If you don't have that, then you'll need to purchase a retail version of Mac OS X (See here and here for prices).

If the discs that you have are not for an iBook, then they will not work as they are only meant to be used with the Macs that they ship with (they're basically OEM discs).

If you do have the original discs and they still don't work, they might be damaged. You might want to head to an Apple Store and let them know that you have a bad installation disc. Take your discs and iBook with you so that they know you aren't trying to steal a copy of OS X. They might be able to help you out with a new copy.

Back