iBook G4 Hardware Test Error Code 2STF/1/4: ATA-100-6-MASTER

Hey,

So the other day while on a flight, I was watching a movie on my iBook g4and all of the sudden my computer crashed. I tried to force quit but it was totally frozen, so I turned the computer off and tried to restart. When I did that, I got the amazing grey screen, then a flashing question mark file/finder icon. I have been all the way through apple support, as well as trying to reinstall Panther but my hard drive is not being recognized, which leads me to believe that it is dead. I ran the hardware disk that came with my computer, and in the mass memory section, I got the above error. Why does this happen? How do I get apple to replace the hard drive or replace my laptop? How do I speak to them without having to pay for it? I assume that I will lose everything, which really really sucks. My laptop wasn't hot to the touch, and I had absolutely no issues with it prior to this happening. Please help me!! I am so upset about my little lappy toppy, and I usually love apple products, but my iPod recently died with no reason as well, so I am starting to doubt their products. Both products just recently hit the year and a half mark... coincidence? Thanks in advance!

Is this the original hard drive from the machine? It's unlikely a hard-drive problem, from what I read, but a logic board problem. Try going to your local Apple Store or call AppleCare to see about repairs.
It might be a hard-drive problem, but this is unlikely from what you are describing. They'll be able to diagnose it at an AASP.

... I ran the hardware disk that came with my computer, and in the mass memory section, I got the above error. Why does this happen? How do I get apple to replace the hard drive or replace my laptop? How do I speak to them without having to pay for it? I assume that I will lose everything, which really really sucks. My laptop wasn't hot to the touch, and I had absolutely no issues with it prior to this happening. Please help me!! I am so upset about my little lappy toppy, and I usually love apple products, but my iPod recently died with no reason as well, so I am starting to doubt their products. Both products just recently hit the year and a half mark... coincidence? Thanks in advance!

Yes, just a coincidence about the year-and-a-half, and some bad luck... Your hard drive has failed, and the error code from Apple Hardware test indicates that has happened. If your iBook is not in warranty, and you do not have AppleCare extended warranty, then you have to pay for support. Failing hard drives do not always have any symptoms, such as over-heating - sometimes the failure is spontaneous, and more bad luck.
You don't have to assume that you will lose everything - you can contact a drive data recovery service, such as Driversavers.com - They can often recover data, but the cost will be much more than simply replacing the hard drive.
Apple does not use hard drives that are any different that other companies that sell laptops, and are not more (or less) likely to fail than those from other manufacturers.
Something to consider for the future - Some consumer groups agree that the AppleCare extended warranty is a worthwhile investment when purchasing a laptop, as repairs will be quite expensive.

So Mastercard and Visa both have extended warranty options. If apple does not end up replacing or repairing whatever is faulty, then I will turn to them to file a dispute. Their extended warranties usually double your warranty, up to 5 years. You do need quite a few pieces of info if you did not register the purchase. You can go to mastercard.com or visa.com and search for their extended warranties to find out all of the documents that you will need. You must file the claim within 60 days of the device failing, otherwise they can deny your claim. There are no statutory rights in the united states like there is in the UK as far as I can tell. They have a 6 year warranty that says that if you believe that the original hardware was faulty (which I believe is true based on the hundreds of threads that I have read) you can file a claim in hopes of getting a replacement or repair. Just some info. I am a firm believer in good products, but it seems as if apple is going off the deep end when it comes to support. I dont want to pay $50 for someone to tell me to send my laptop in to them. We shall see....

Cera*

I dont want to pay $50 for someone to tell me to send my laptop in to them. We shall see....

Your iBook is out of warranty - why should you expect a free repair? $50 is just for a support call - the actual repair will easily be over $300
Call Apple Customer Relations if you feel you have a bum product, and you can convince them that you had problems since new, and you have had previous repairs, and you haven't gotten the good use that you expected over that time - sometimes you will get a good result...
Meanwhile, the credit card warranty may be worthwhile if you qualify for that.

From what I've been reading here, if I go to the genius bar I probably do have a slight chance of getting it repaired if I give them the "I'm a long time mac user" rundown, but my problem now goes further than that. When I opened the computer to replace the hard drive, before I knew that wasn't the problem, I stripped a few screws. I had to bend a few pieces of aluminum to get the hard drive out as a result. Now it's clear that I've opened the computer and any warranty that I might have had would probably be gone.

Has anyone that got this issue fixed (free of charge) by apple told them that you did indeed open the computer. What if I don't tell them and then whoever tries to fix it sees that I have clearly opened the computer. Am I pretty much doomed? Anyone have any advice on who to call, who to see, or what to say. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So much for a simple hard drive fix. :(

Hi
After reading these posts I thought I had an ibook with the same issue as I got the same error code out of the hardware test.

It turned out to be the connector to the hard disk. If you use the strip of plastic attached to pull out the plug it weakens the join such that heat may finish it off. This had happened as I had already had the HD replaced and it went wrong again making me think the ATA controller had given up the ghost.

A bit of V careful soldering solved the problem and I guess if removing the cable in future it's best to remove it from the logic board end first and genlt pry off the plug rather than use the plastic strip.

I hope this makes sense.

In conclusion it has got to be worth checking the cable/plug connection that goes into the Hard disk before writing off the ATA controller.

Back