iBook G4 Memory

btoneill

keeper of the cheese
I need more memory for my new iBook G4. I know it's specs say it uses PC2100 but many sites also list PC2700 has working in it. Does anyone here actually have PC2700 in their G4 iBook here? If so, what brand? I tried a 512M PC2100 from Centon (they were out of PNY and this was the only 512M in PC2100 they had, so I figured I'd give it a shot) that is worse the useless. It causes apps to continually crash and actaully makes the system slower then when just having 128M in it. So, I'm debating going back and getting the PC2700 PNY module they had, but really don't feel like having to return that one too if it doesn't work right.

Any comments would be appreciated. :)

Brian

on a pc you can use a higher speed ram, it will just run at the speed the system tells it. Im assuming this wont work with osx though, just because its such a bitch regarding ram

Boot to the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with your new iBook after installing any RAM, and run the extended test. That should give you good results (OR fail with incompatible memory)
Faster memory is not neccesary, it's either compatible, or it's not, although it will probably work. You cannot use anything slower than PC2100 or DDR 266 SO-Dimms.

I picked up a pc2700 kingston module today, hopefully I can get time tommorow to install it. I know I can't go slower with memory, the only reason I'm going faster is it's cheaper. It was around $40 more to get a PC2100 module then a PC2700 one. I had forgotten about the hardware test cd, I'll definately give that a go after the install.

Brian

Unfortunately, Kingston seems to get a bad rep from Mac users. Not like it used to be. YMMV, but cheaper is not a bargain if it doesn't work. :) Good luck...

Well I picked up an PC2700 512M Kingston module for $99 after rebate at Best Buy. It passed the hardware test with flying colors, and have had no stability problems. I have the same 512M Kingston module in my wifes iMac which has no issues for the last 5 months.

Brian

Back