iBook G4 questions

LeoTheLion89

Registered
after i got my eMac i asked my girlfriend if she wanted a mac too shes thinking on a iBook G4 so heres the specs followed by my questions:

Product Identifiers
Manufacturer Apple
Product Family iBook G4
Model ID PowerBook6,7
Model Number A1133
MPN M9846LL/A
UPC 718908454046, 879889002401

Processor
Processor Type PowerPC G4
Processor Speed 1.33 GHz
Number of Cores Single-Core

Motherboard
Bus Speed 133 MHz

Display
Display Technology XGA TFT Active Matrix
Screen Size 12.1"
Display Max. Resolution 1024 x 768

Technical Features
Expansion Ports 2 x USB 2.0, RJ-11 (modem), RJ-45 (NIC), S-Video out, VGA out

Hard Drive
Hard Drive Capacity 40 GB
Hard Drive Rotation Speed 4200 RPM
Storage Controller Type Ultra ATA

Memory
Installed RAM 512 MB
RAM Technology DDR SDRAM
Max Supported RAM 1.5 GB
RAM Speed 333 MHz
Installed Cache Memory 512 KB

CD / DVD
Optical Drive Type CD-RW/DVD-ROM
Optical Drive Read Speed 24x (CD), 8x (DVD)
Optical Drive Write Speed 24x (CD)
Optical Drive ReWrite Speed 16x (CD-RW)

Video
Graphic Processor ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9550
Installed Video Memory 32 MB
Graphic Bus Interface AGP x4

Audio
Audio Output Type Headphones, Sound card, Speaker(s)
Audio Input Type Line In (3.5mm)

Modem
Modem Type Fax / Modem
Analog Modulation Protocol ITU V.92

Networking
Networking Type Bluetooth, Integrated Wireless LAN, Network Adapter
Data Link Protocol AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11g

Battery
Battery Run Time 6 Hours
Battery Technology Lithium ion

Dimensions
Depth 9.06 in.
Height 1.35 in.
Width 11.2 in.
Weight 4.9 lb.

Miscellaneous
Release Date July, 2005
Input Method Keyboard, Trackpad
Operating System Apple MacOS X 10.4

can i have these specs verified i know the iBook G4 is only able to have 1.5GB RAM but i thought it took PC100 RAM not DDR RAM.

How well will it run Leo compared to a eMac 1GHz?

Will it run Ubuntu flawlessly?
Will the Wifi and bluetooth work on Ubuntu?
will it run a 7200RPM HDD? or a CF to IDE SSD?
What size HDD is recommended for optimal preformance?

Your iBook G4 uses DDR PC2700 SODIMM. There's one slot. Max in that slot is 1GB.
The other 512MB is permanent on the logic board.
Leopard is fine - max out the RAM.

Ubuntu should be fine.

Bluetooth and Wifi are on a single card, with two antenna connections. Probably Ubuntu supports the wifi, and maybe the bluetooth. You'd have to try that to see if Ubuntu has hardware drivers for both.

Yes, 7200 RPM would be fine - if you can find one. HDD manufacturers stopped making 7200 laptop IDE (PATA) drives probably about 4 years ago.
I would say it's really unlikely to do anything internal with an SSD. That iBook G4 model uses a 90-degree blade connector, which mounts on the hard drive, and the hard drops into place, with the connector interlocking like little fingers. It's hard to describe, without looking at it. But, there's no space for the drive to move, and the non-standard logic board connector (no ribbon cable) would not allow enough space for any alternate connection. So, I think I can safely say that there's no way to install any other type of storage inside the iBook, only IDE.
Last question - hard drive is limited by what you can find that will work. I don't see larger than 320GB for laptop IDE drives.

BTW, there's some errors in the spec sheet that you quoted.
An iBook does not have standard VGA out, or S-Video out. There's only the mini-VGA port. That can be adapted to VGA, or to S-video, with standard Apple mini-VGA adapters.
- Dale

yea i know that the seller is the same person i got my eMac from that seller claimed my eMac had bluetooth installed ...it doesnt. Would this iBook be able to watch YouTube Videos better than my 1GHz eMac can? i do have on hand 1 stick of PC2100 256MB DDR laptop RAM and one stick of 512MB DDR 333 RAM would these work for extra kick? ill leave it up to her if she would want to max the RAM to 1.5GB as far as youtube goes would there be a difference with 1GB and 1.5GB?

here is a picture of the CompactFlash to IDE Adaptor i was refering to (minus the CF card). Will it work?

Attachments

• 12-186-050-04.jpg
    12-186-050-04.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 12-186-050-03.jpg
    12-186-050-03.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2
Wireless was optional on your eMac, perhaps the seller thought that bluetooth-capable is the same as installed....
The iBook came standard with wireless. The wifi card is a dual card with both wifi and bluetooth on the same board. I don't think you could even order that last iBook without wireless. It's actually a major job to even get to the card, requiring both top and bottom cases to be removed. I think really unlikely the wireless would be missing
That iBook is the last model iBook, and the memory is a step up. I know PC2100 won't work, I have tried it before.
Remember, there's only one memory slot, so if you put one 512 chip in, you have a total of 1GB.
One BIG difference (actually a small difference). That 12-inch screen on the iBook will be one disadvantage, pretty small. So, videos will be larger on your eMac.
The clock speed is 30% higher on the iBook, but the video chips are very close to the same. I would expect Youtube vids to play about the same on both.

On that CF adapter:
There is no space around the hard drive. Would the CF card extend beyond the card adapter?
I think one way to tell would be to have the card + adapter, and line it up on an actual hard drive. If that card + adapter is longer than a normal hard drive, then I would say no...

You also don't know what's involved in replacing a hard drive. There are 50 screws to remove - I know, because I counted various times (helps keep track of where you are). The hard drive on an iBook is one repair that I have always dreaded. You get to remove:
Battery
Keyboard & RAM cover
Bottom case
Bottom interior shield
DC-in board
Top case
Top interior shield

Here's a shot with all the surrounds removed, with the hard drive still inside the chassis =
Notice all the (no) room around that drive. Now compare that to what you might have with your card + adapter... Does it look doable?
One more point, the hard drive is secured with tiny brackets with the side holes on the drive, so there would be no simple way to mechanically secure that card inside the chassis, unless you want to just use double-side sticky tape (might be workable there, eh?)

Attachments

• ibook hard drive.jpg
    ibook hard drive.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1
eh i did about the same thing to replace the HDD in a Acer Aspire One i literally had to take the motherboard out of the case just to change the hard drive man it was a bitch to do so i can do it with a iBook cant say i wont lose half a dozen screws though generally when i have to open a laptop i always save time by only putting screws in to hold things not ever single screw makes it faster to access it again if need be

Back