iBook G4: sometimes can't find internal HD

doctormelodious

Registered
Greetings,

My iBook G4 (see sig below) has an intermittent problem. It usually sits on my desk, plugged into the power adaptor, always on. The only time I ever do a shutdown is when I'm taking it with me to the airport. Here's where the problem happens -- WHEN it happens. I start it up and one of two things happens:

1. I get the old question mark disk icon, or
2. I get a plain grey screen

Sometimes, if I do a manual force reboot (cmd-ctrl-power) several times in a row, it will finally boot correctly. The lovely grey Apple logo shows up, and all is well.

Other times, when that fails, I boot from a DiskWarrior CD. Sometimes it can't see the internal HD. Other times it sees it, and when I run DW, it does find errors to fix. Yet other times, DW sees it, and finds NO errors.

When the iBook is working, the internal HD's SMART status shows as Good.

So, whatup with this? Is the drive actually going bad (SMART status notwithstanding), or is it maybe the controller or some other logic board component? I could chuck the iBook and get a nice new MacBook, but this 2004 antique still suits my needs.

Thoughts, anyone??

Thanks!
DM

P.S. BTW, the internal HD backs up to an external FW drive daily, so there will be minimum heartache if/when the thing totally bites it.

Thanks for the reply, EDCC.

Alas, I don't have the Hardware Test CD that goes with this iBook. I bought the iBook -- and my Tiger and Panther discs -- used on eBay. I just checked eBay for the Hardware Test CD, but there are none to be found. Any suggestions for a place to look for it?

DM

The nearest Apple store to you should have one on hand -- I would think that's the best place to look.

Of couse, it would be wise to call ahead of time and verify this before making the trip out there.

If there is not an Apple Store nearby, then there could be an "Apple Authorized Reseller" or "Apple Authorized Repair Center" close to you that you may have some luck with.

Failing that, a good, ol' call to Apple's 1-800 number may point you in the right direction.

you know i was messing around with my ibook g4 a while back fixing stuff and i had the same issue with the hd....turns out the connector cable to the hd, which is on the bottom side, come out very easily and is held in place with a piece of old tape...try taking a look at it

Back