IBook G4 wont boot. please help!!!

dtakias

Registered
hi

About 2 weeks ago I overwrited some files on my ibook. Since I had no data recovery software for macs, i used easy recovery pro and connected the laptop hard drive to my windows box.

Once I had it connected, windows asked me to initialise the hard drive and without even thinking about it I said yes.

I did raw(sector by sector) recovery and managed to find a few files. The problem is that now the ibook wont boot no matter what i try. I have tried using disk warrior and repaired the file system.

Also when I start it in firewire disk mode and connect it to another macbook, it will load the partition with all the files inside it. So the files are there but it will not allow me to boot the OS.

I assume its like when windows looses its bootloader and you need to boot into recovery console and do commands like fixmbr and fixboot. I reckon initialising the disk created all those problems...

I have also tried fsck /y, reseted all settings, reseted nvram, zap the pram and run the open firmware hardware test and it did pass everything.

Any gurus out there please help me!

Since you interrupted a format of the drive (and partition table format switch, as well), then more than likely, getting the drive to ever boot again in its current state is unlikely.

I would suggest backing up what you can, formatting the drive with Disk Utility, then re-installing your operating system on the drive.

when i try to boot off the dvd it will hang after i press continue on the second installation screen.

also if i try to go to disk utilities first, just after displaying "gathering disk informaiton" it will give me an error message and then it will hang as well. The message says " disk utility started, but a background process needed in disk utility didnt start properly. please quit and restart disk utility"

Back