Ibook G4 wont boot

THe latest version of YDL is 4.0.1. Why are you using 3.0.1? Or was that a typo?

Once you get the drive working, you might want to also see about purchasing Mac OS X. If you are new to Linux, then it's going to be a bit of a learning curve for you. Best if you familiarize yourself with OS X and play with the Terminal available there. Create a user account specifically for that so you don't screw up your normal user account due to all of the command line experimenting. :D

You can get Panther (OS X 10.3.x) at a good price if you search around. But if you have the money and the memory to go with it, go full steam with Tiger.

Also, if, in fact, you have a 1.4 GHz iBook, you will have warranty until at least July 2006. Even if you are not the original owner, the iBook will get warranty support (unless someone has conveniently removed the serial number), and a 14-inch iBook will have a 60GB drive or larger, not a 40GB. If you will open the keyboard, you should see the serial number, along with a label showing the shipped configuration.
The Option-Boot screen will not show a boot volume if the hard drive is bad, of course. The other reason could be because the hard drive has no operating system (the drive is erased)
This is the current model. If you get the hard drive replaced under warranty, you might be able to get current install disks for your iBook, although that would usually be for damaged disk replacement. Wouldn't hurt to ask...

Well, apparently the Serial is scratched off too... wow, I think when I meet him again im gonna take my stuff back because talk about screwed. The model number ia A1055, and the copyright date is 2003, I don't even know if the 1.4ghz was made then. Wow, I am not very happy....

There are two spots for the serial number. One under the keyboard, and one inside the battery compartment.
Sounds a little shady to me... what a deal... :(

Im not too happy because its not a 1.4ghz ibook either. I already tried to put in the new HD, the one i put in was bad too... Its a 933MHZ tho, but thats fine. I was just gonna use it as a linux prac/ a school laptop. I dunno, all I did to test the HD was hold down option on startup to see if it would find it, but maybe it will find it when I try to load linux.

Back