ibook g4

thats ok if you have access to the administrator log in as u are asked to put in a key chain password as i have tryed the above thanks with a few diffrent ox 10.4, 10.5 and 10.5.07 and no joy.
thanks
My guess is i will have to take out hard drive format it then replace it????????

You don't need any kind of password to boot from a CD or DVD. Simply put the CD or DVD into the drive, restart the computer, then hold down the 'c' key as the computer boots. The computer will then boot from the CD or DVD, at which point you can do one of several things including reset the admin password, install OS X or verify the integrity of the hard drive.

dose that mean i can format the drive and re install the os then?
and if it has a partition on the drive can i remove that to make it one ?
thanks
Mark

Yes, it does.

When you boot from the CD/DVD and are prompted to select a language, do so. Then, on the next screen, select "Disk Utility" from the "Installer" menu. With Disk Utility, you can re-partition and re-format the drive to your liking.

After that, you can proceed with installing or reinstalling OS X in several different manners.

thanks is that the same as if u want to delete the key chain password as it has been forgotten i tryed it once and it just asked me to put in the old pasword which i of course do not have lol
thanks again for your help
regards
Mark

No i am a pc tec in my spare time as i work with children with learning difficultys as my salaryed job, so this is my introduction into mac i have an intel imac g5 and a intel ibook laptop running osx 10.5 non of them have pc based software on so where mac is conserened im still learning.lol
thanks
Mark

PC = Personal Computer
Apple makes personal computers, therefore your iMac and iBook are PC's,

that is why I asked the earlier question.

in that case ops yes in the form of windows based software, pc dos,win 3.1, win 95, win 98, win 98se, win me, win xp he, win xp pro, win vista all platforms, windows 7 all platforms , server etc
and now i have seen the light and gone over to mac so but a virgin lol
thanks again
Mark

You can use the install CD/DVD to remove or alter the password/User as well. Just boot up with the install disk and go to Utilities. There you can reset to your hearts content and no need to reformat.

Other option is to go into Target Disk and hook to another mac and read the disk that way. Also should be able to format and then reinstall.

All good advice, maybe a bit late though since the OP's posted problem was last year.

Back