Ibook Has Lost All Desktop Icons

mmackey

Registered
Recently I setup 3 Ibook laptops for the elementary school to use in the media center, all three were identically set up with certain program icons on the desktop and in the dock. As of yesterday, one of the Ibooks has a different wallpaper and none of the desktop icons can be found, in addition to that the Ibook will not connect to a specific server. OS X on the Ibooks and Server, UAM for OS X was installed on all the machine so it will talk to this Dell server, but it refuses to stating that the user id or password is not valid. It did talk to the server because that is where I downloaded the programs from.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Mike.

First thing is don't underestimate the computer skills of children. They probably did this to your computers. Second, if you are using Apple machines in a mixed computer environment, always keep the MacWindows site in your bookmark arsenal.

Thanks, you are so correct. What I ended up doing is reloading, and all is well, at least for now. I'm too new to the Mac side of support to know how to lock down the Mac's like I've been able to do with "DeepFreeze", but I"m sure I'll find a way and again thanks, I've bookmaked MacWin site.

Mike.

Also you should now OS X machines need a little software maintenance to keep them running like new. First all there a well known fact Os X is based on BSD Unix. Unix keeps many logs that could grow over time (you can view those logs in Applications->Utilities->Console - then click on the logs button in the corner). These logs have a Unix program that runs in the background called cron) that "rotate" these logs. Apple even talks about it. It would be well to have one of the Apple suggested programs from VersionTracker (personally use the one trick pony program called MacJanitor). Also Unix loves it uses on folder permissions on every folder. These permissions can be easily messed up by software installers. So Apple supplied a fix for messed up permissions (it happens all to often) in Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility and it is called "Repair Permissions". This can be done most every week and after large software installs. It will help keep your OS X on the straight and narrow.

Back