Ibook ram upgrade, what MHZ?

ziomatrixacs

Registered
Im looking for some ram for my Ibook.. I want to get a 256mb chip from ifixit.com since its only $20. I have a 12" ibook G4, with a 1.2ghz ppc processor. The part im not sure about is the MHZ rating. One chip says 333mhz and the other says something in the 200 range. I know bigger is better but im not sure if its compatible with my ibook. Could anyone offer some insight on this?

Yep, it's small in size (only 512MB), and it's "used" in the sense that it was pre-installed in another machine, then pulled out of that machine and put up for sale.

Old (read: technologically old) RAM is super-cheap.

Whoops, yep, typo... 256MB chip -- another reason why it's so cheap.

Just remember that you only have one RAM slot in that iBook, with a factory-installed chip of 256MB (which I think is either non-replaceable, or only replaceable by taking a lot of the computer apart). So, if you really want to "max" the RAM out, you need to get a 1GB RAM stick (for a total of 1.25GB).

If you add the 256MB RAM stick you linked to, then you will have 512MB of RAM (256MB on-board RAM + 256MB RAM chip) and will be able to go no further.

I know, Id like to put that much ram into my comptuer but I cant afford it ATM. Its only $4 anyways. :)

So that ram chip will work for sure?

It should work, yes.

There's no harm in calling OWC/MacSales directly and verifying, though -- they're smart and helpful over there.

Back