ical alert stuck "off screen"

sfenton83

Registered
I don't know what the heck happened - but it's stuck like this everytime an alert comes up!

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 17
Well, that's weird. It's EXACTLY what I am seeing on my iBook.
I think it started after the upgrade to 10.4.8 last week. It's really annoying. My looks exactly like yours, in the same position on the screen.

Anyone know what's causing this, or, at least, how to correct it? Moving it does nothing. The next reminder shows up in the same place again.

Moving the alert won't reset it's default position? You may want to move the iCal preference file to the desktop, located in /Users/<you>/Library/Preferences, which may store the data for the location of iCal alerts.

No. I've moved the alert and then closed the program thinking that it would save it's last position; no luck. I've crashed the system after I've moved it hoping it would stay; no luck. I've check prefs, looked at prefs textedit, and nothing i've found will work. It's the weirdest thing I've had happen. Moving the file to the desktop wouldn't do anything - the alerts are already displayed ON the desktop, just not in the right spot.

I'm curious why you guys think moving files would do anything? At best it would reset the position IF the coords of the alert were held in the files, but none of them hold it from what I've found. And then if you found that file, why not just change the coords?

Nice blog by the way Dennis - I've started my rants/raves as well, but didn't dedicate a single blog too it, yet...

I'm curious why you guys think moving files would do anything? At best it would reset the position IF the coords of the alert were held in the files, but none of them hold it from what I've found. And then if you found that file, why not just change the coords?

Nice blog by the way Dennis - I've started my rants/raves as well, but didn't dedicate a single blog too it, yet...

Thanks for the comments about my site. :)

I misread your last post about checking the preference files for coords. If they aren't in there, I can't think of any way that we can stop this from happening. When I upgraded to 10.4.8, I did it via the combo update, NOT software update. I was going to suggest using the combo update to correct the problem, but I remembered that it's what I used in the first place.

Did you upgrade via Software Update?

If you create a new account and test alerts on that, it will show us if this is a user-level problem, or systemwide (bug?) problem. Are you both using a 12" screen?

Combo updates are downloaded from Apple.com manually - you'd know if you have it..

Not sure I know what you mean by combo (retail package?) - I just downloaded the latest update! lol

The combo updates are larger than the regular updates that you will see on Software Update, and they can only be downloaded from Apple's Web site. If you run into problems that you can't seem to correct/repair, sometimes the combo update will correct them for you, if they are OS-related. I've used combo updates for this in the past. The last one I installed for 10.4.8 was not necessary, but I did it anyway because I was using a hack for Front Row and wanted to be sure that I restored everything before testing the latest version of the hack.

The 10.4.8 combo update is here with a description: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1048comboupdateppc.html

But, if you used Software Update, and I used the combo update, and we are both seeing the same issue, it's not likely that one update method caused the problem. It could still be the update itself, however, because that's when it appeared for both of us.

If you create a new account and test alerts on that, it will show us if this is a user-level problem, or systemwide (bug?) problem. Are you both using a 12" screen?

Combo updates are downloaded from Apple.com manually - you'd know if you have it..

Tested it on another user account that I have (which I never use unless I am looking to test something like this) - Same issue.

12" screen - Yes.

Just found this. It's a known bug being worked on by Apple. It started happening to several users after the 10.4.8 upgrade.

After further investigation it has been determined that this is a known issue, which is currently being investigated by engineering. This issue has been filed in our bug database under the original Bug ID# 4759919.

Thank you for submitting this bug report. We truly appreciate your assistance in helping us discover and isolate bugs.

Best Regards,

The Bug Reporting Team
Apple Developer Connection

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=671199

Hopefully, we can expect an update that will correct this, and I hope we don't have to wait until 10.4.9, because I'm sure that's at least months away.

Post a bug report to Apple, here. Once Apple gets enough reports, they usually will fix a problem in future updates.

Hi - just updated to 10.4.8 myself and my alerts are off the left edge of my 24" HP flatscreen - just enough showing to pull them onscreen.

Incidentally, I'm running 6 calendars total - if that makes any difference.

Just left feedback with Apple.

Back