iChat audio with PC using AIM

weknowjack

Registered
I am new at iChat. I got it setup and I am trying to communicate with a PC/AIM user. He tells me AIM on his end indicates my end does not support audio. I have an internal mic on an iBook and iChat says it is functioning. I can text chat, but the phone button for this buddy is not available. Nothing happens when I click it . Any ideas? Thanks. Jack.

You probably have one or several of problems. First make sure your Microphone is working by using your System Preferences->Sound and going to the Input tab. Just remember Macs do NOT have Microphone port, they have a audio Line-In port. To make a long story short, Microphone ports have power behind them so if a user wants to record audio in ( i.e. turntables, mini disk players, etc). Audio-In ports have no power behind it so no noise will be on the port when recording.

Second, a firewall(s) is blocking the signal. Here is an Apple document on "Well Known" TCP and UDP Ports Used By Apple Software Products". This will help if you or the distant end is having a problem.

Another thing I'd make sure of is that you friend has the latest version of AIM. Earlier versions used a different way of audio "talk," I think.

Thanks, but what do I do with the port info? do i pass it to the other end? I can't see that any is blocked in my security settings. I don't even use a password.

Back