iChat AV 3.0 ?

treybomb

Registered
Any recent info on iChat AV 3.0? I'm really looking forward to 3+ way chat if that is indeed a feature to be included in the next revision of iChat AV.

Does anyone have any info on this? Projected release date? Is it even in beta stages yet? Discuss. :)

What do you mean 3+ way chat? iChat already has this: it's called a chatroom... or do you mean for video/audio chatting? Because that would be cool.

yeah video and audio 3 way would be nice

edit: typo, sorry ::angel::

down below: i've got a beefy system :rolleyes:

MBHockey said:
Yeah but i feel like that would take some beefy systems to do nicely though.
Given that Apple's just released iTunes 4.5 with lossless encoding for half the size, am I right in thinking a similar approach could be taken to iChat?

Running on 1MB / 256 kbps connection with friends on 512 / 256, iChat is still a bit hit and miss...

3 way video conferencing with good quality (even if in small windows) AV would be excellent! :D

applewhore said:
Given that Apple's just released iTunes 4.5 with lossless encoding for half the size, am I right in thinking a similar approach could be taken to iChat?

Well, implementing a lossless codec into iChat AV would be a step backwards -- the codec iChat uses is a lossy codec, and switching to a lossless codec would send the system requirements through the roof. You'd need an internet connection akin to a T3 to handle that kind of bandwidth.

I think that 3 way chats would be great, But the problem with bandwidth. Maybe they can come upo with some magical codec that compresses video to stream in TINY SIZES and look liek a DVD!?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Well, implementing a lossless codec into iChat AV would be a step backwards -- the codec iChat uses is a lossy codec, and switching to a lossless codec would send the system requirements through the roof. You'd need an internet connection akin to a T3 to handle that kind of bandwidth.
i understand that to go down the "lossless" route would be a step backwards - I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear...

I was simply commenting on the fact that they have created a lossless system for iTunes that uses half the size of previous attempts - can't they do something similar for video? As per Ptpiz's comment...

The lossless codec in iTunes is for encoding songs once and then leaving them on your harddrive. iChat's codec is lossy because you're streaming it the entire time you're using it, and if it were lossless the computer would be trying to download high-quality video continuously, leading to an incredibly low framerate.

Back