iChat buggy?

jdennison

Registered
ok, I've been having lots of trouble lately with iChat (it'll be a great app once it works right). It stops getting correct updates of people's status, and stops recieving replies from people. Am I alone with this problem?

I had a different problem. Basically, I logged in as AIM user A. Then I logged out of a and in as user b.

As user b I tried to add a as a buddy but it kept saying that I was user a. Loggin in and out several times didn't fix it. Quiting and restarting did.

Vanguard

In my case, I'm connected as one screen name with Fire, as another with iChat. This worked earlier this afternoon. Now it says I'm offline. So I added another buddy who is also offline, but I can see this person in Fire. I quit and restarted and all of my buddies on iChat are offline. :confused:

yeah, I've had friends listed as idle, although they're officially away and stuff like that... relaunching would temporarily fix the different problems, but they would soon re-appear, like sub-sequent messages not appearing and such

So what is the verdict with iChat.... I was so excited about iChat (still am really) but I am getting nervous after Jobs seemed to have problems with it, and now I have been ready a lot of negative stuff about it. Hmmmm

That makes me a little sad. First I lose Min in place, and now it seems iChat is not polished...

However I am still as excited as heck about OS 10.2 and I am still 100000 time more happy since I switched to macs...

Matthew

Originally posted by Inline_guy
So what is the verdict with iChat.... I was so excited about iChat (still am really) but I am getting nervous after Jobs seemed to have problems with it, and now I have been ready a lot of negative stuff about it.
iChat shows all the signs of a standard 1.0 release of software. I mean, basic feaures the ability to rename contact's names on the buddly list is not available yet. I see potential in iChat, but we may have to wait for iChat 2 to 'get it right'.

You know, I wouldn't be suprised if version 2 or 3 supported mabey ICQ, Yahoo, and MSN networks too.

if you want to change their names, or at least how it shows their names, you get info on the person, and then edit their address book card. From there, whatever name you give them, is how they'll appear in iChat, including your own name.

Originally posted by jdennison
if you want to change their names, or at least how it shows their names, you get info on the person, and then edit their address book card.
Thanks - I finally figured that one out after posting. :D When I did that, I didn't think it was working.. it took a reboot to make the changes show up.

Maybe I am overlooking something, but is there a way to update user info? I don't see an edit option. Also, the first few problems I have all the time--although they happen less frequently than they first did, it is still disappointing to me, I was really looking forward to iChat.

Bugs I've noticed--

1.) Was able to send, but not recieve messages at one point

2.) iChat windows sometimes take priority over everything else; meaning that when I wanted to bring a window to the front it didn't do so

3.) It doesn't let you know when you've been warned :mad:

I hope these bugs are fixed soon.. This release doesn't even feel like it was made by Apple since it was so buggy. :(

3.) I was warned in iChat by my brother, who was on AIM. You just can't warn other people on it.

I think warning is dumb... Blocking fine, that is needed, but why do you need a button to warn. I just don't like the feature.

Matthew

I still think it's hilarious that Apple now has a chat program.
Annyway, I like the "fade to white" feature when somebody goes offline.

I don't know about you, but I'd like to know when somebody warns me, so I would have a reason behind giving the person a notation that they create a vacuum. :D

I was really hoping iChat would work great out of the box. But I'm getting a lot of bugs too:

1) Can send messages but sometimes not receive.

2)Can send files but cannot recieve until I quit then restart and if someone wants to send me another I have to quit and restart again!

3) This happened once: Everytime I would reply to someone thier reply would show up in another window. The only fix....You guessed it quit and restart.

4) Some buttons on the buddy list window (the one that says "Available" and the one which should change the list view to be specific) cause iChat to quit unexpectedly.:mad:

Other than that I am super psyched about 10.2!:D Actually, iChat was one that I really didn't give a crap about (until I tried it). Now it's one of the new things that I love the most. I just hope Apple fixes it soon. I really don't think they need to go to v.2 for these fixes. A version change would be to add new features or change functionality. this would be 1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc...

ok guys, please remember to tell all your qualms directly to Apple, go to the OSX feedback and tell them the problems you've had with iChat. I'm assuming they've recognized these problems, but it's nice to make sure they know that we know, and that these bugs are more proliferous than they know. So keep that feedback flowin' in the right direction.

Back