Ichat can't connect with Netgear router

MrDetroit

Registered
Hi Gang.

Need some help here.
Here's one for you experinced ones...

I have a new WPN824v2 router. I've got Comcast. It's connected fine to my imac G5 (10.4.7) and my Mac Mini. Like a charm.

BUT: I can't connect to ichat.

I CAN connect to it when I connect my modem directly but not with my router.

Ichat will connect for a 10th of a second and then says: "Lost connection with ichat".

I'm sure there must be a way to do it with Port Forwarding, perhaps. But I don't know.

I'm new to this forwarding ports stuff so if anyone has any suggestions, let me have 'em in Noobesk ( or would that be Noobish?)!

Thanks much.

HV

Hi, Bob

Thanks for responding.

Good suggestion. I tried to open thoes ports on my Netgear. No luck.

Do you think it may have something to do with Netgear itself?

Is it possible that the brand won't allow ichat to work?

Thanks again for the help.

Very best,

MD

You need to forward those ports to the InternalIP address of your machine.
The router setup page should show attached devices and their IP number.

I'm having the same problem with this and i think i changed all the ports. Can somebody post up a screen print of their router settings for me. I can't seem to get it to work. I keep getting knocked off immediately after i log on.

Forget it...I just bought a new router. A Linksys WRT54GS. I didn't want to bother with the whole thing anymore. I knew I should've just stuck with a Linksys. Thanks for the help though. Now my macbook is able to log on fine.

I tried following this advice but couldn't figure out how to add anything to the attached devices list. On top of that, now I can log in to ichat on my older ibook G4 but not on my fairly new imac.

This will fix it!

I had the same issue with a few routers (linksys, netgear and semens) so i use this software LIGHTHOUSE for osx. With 10.4 iChat never worked through routers without lighthouse however now with 10.5 it sometimes does but if all else fails i fire it up and it workes every time. I think it's worth every cent I paid for it. Something like $20AU

Since both NAT/PMP (Apple Airport base stations) and UPnP (D-Link, Linksys, Netgear et. al.) are supported, Lighthouse will work together with almost any router you’ll find in a home network.

Have a lood at it here

http://codelaide.com/blog/products/lighthouse

Back