iChat in Tiger

RGrphc2

...InSaNe...
okay so other than the new H.246 video compression and 3-way chatting what new features are we to expect in iChat AV when Tiger comes out??? I hope that Steve includes a way to change screen brightness of the iSight from the mac itself. I noticed that with iChat the camera image is dark, but i've recently downloaded a demo of EvoCam and well the image is gorgeous. :)

I'd probably use iChat if it would at least let me set a profile. And while iChat does look nice, it'd be nice if it didn't take up so much of the screen. Though, if the iChat status menu would show all my buddies that are online and not just the ones that are available, maybe I wouldn't care.

Dammit. There's still no perfect AIM client. The official AIM client has thet best file transfer and profile features, Adium has the best interface, and iChat has the Audio/Video.

Now if we could just do some application gene splicing...

well i heard on macosrumors.com that "Major unannounced features still in the works for Tiger version of iChat could include cross-platform audio chat with Windows AIM users, as well as support for MSN, Yahoo, and Skype chat networks among others."(direct quote) that would be GREAT!!! msn and yahoos! mac versions are uterly disgracefull aftreal if aMSN can aloow me to have a display picture and send more than 1 file at a time surly microsofts version could! the 4.0 revision was a total scam - the only real diference was the newemoticons that move etc. - and aparently thats worth a whole number upgrade - emmm dnt think so! i would say thats a 3.6 upgrade or a 3.5.1 upgrade not a whole point!

ichat lets you make a profile and also lets you view your buddies in groups like in AIM (not like in ichat right now, were you can only view one at a time)

The new compression will give the possibility of 20 simultaneous connections. Nice, but will I be able to voice chat cross-platform? I don't have 20 mac-friends that I want to voice chat with, but I can't speak to my Windowed relatives. Without the ability to go cross-platform iChat is disappointing.

I'm not really up on all of this...there's no way to cross platform audio chat right now? (thru iChat i mean)

MBHockey said:
I'm not really up on all of this...there's no way to cross platform audio chat right now? (thru iChat i mean)

yea you can. I video chat with a windows person, works poorly tho, well, for the windows guy, and their picture always looks like crap for me, not smooth either.

Yeah, video seems to be the key, you have to have cameras in order to get voice. So there is no cross-platform audio chat. Why is that? It needs to be fixed in the Tiger upgrade (if not sooner).

I tried and tried, but I don't have cameras on both ends and I can't get it to work. Does anyone here know a way to fool AIM / iChat into thinking it has a camera attached?

Is it a firewire camera, or USB? I believe USB cameras aren't supported by iChat without a hack.

kanecorp said:
ichat lets you make a profile and also lets you view your buddies in groups like in AIM (not like in ichat right now, were you can only view one at a time)
explain how to make a profile in iChat... didn't know you could...

mightyjlr said:
explain how to make a profile in iChat... didn't know you could...

truthfully i dont have tiger installed anymore...ummm

it may be under "view"

Its there i made one, and asked a friend if he saw it, and it did work.

kanecorp said:
truthfully i dont have tiger installed anymore...ummm

it may be under "view"

Its there i made one, and asked a friend if he saw it, and it did work.
ohh, you mean in Tiger... I thought you were talking about Jaguar...

Invite a PC friend to a one-way video chat and then you can talk to each other.

If the PC initiates the audio chat, it will work that way.

bobW - are those two different suggestions, or one? Do you have personal experience with this? I tried to have the pc initiate and to have the iBook initiate, connected via lan, but it didn't work either way when neither computer had a camera. (we don't have a camera at all)

If I have a camera and the pc doesn't (mom won't deal well with extra equipment ;)) and I intiate the chat, we can talk?

If mom (the pc) initiates the chat, does she have to have a camera?

Getting this to work would really make my day. Getting it to be a reason to convince the missus to get an iSight would be nice too. ;)

Using iChat with friends in the US and UK, I have no problems with either video or audio from another Mac or PC.

If you want to talk to someone using a PC, invite them to a one way video chat and the audio should work, even if they don't have a camera attached, it works for me.

One friend on a PC doesn't have a camera, and I can audio with him this way.

I don't use it on a LAN, just outside, over the Net.

Thanks-
My friendly neighborhood Apple man wants $220 for the iSight, so it's off to the pc bargain basement to see if I can find a reasonably priced camera.

China, don't fail me now! :p

Back