iChat refuses to add new buddies!

KenDRhyD

Registered
I have several iMac systems, all updated to 10.5.3 and running iChat 4.0.3, but only one of them reliably permits me to add new buddies!

On my main system I can add a new buddy by selecting an entry from my Address Book, and it adds it to the list grayed out and then makes it solid, apparently after asking the AOL server if it is OK.

On the other systems, the entry is added to the list grayed out, and then an alert is displayed and the new entry in removed from the list. The alert indicates that the server has refused the request!

If that same 'buddy' initiates an iChat session, the buddy entry is automatically created and remains in the list and is functional.

I have tried trashing all of the related plist files and changing iChat to use port 443, to no avail. It still fails to permit new buddies to be defined (except on my main system, which is working fine).

Does anyone know what other differences may exist between the systems that might result in this problem?

Could the encryption settings have something to do with it? I know encryption is only supposed to be applied to actual "chats", but it could be stopping you from adding buddies... worth a shot?

Also, are you using the same AOL servers across all the iChats (login.oscar.com or whatever)?

Could the encryption settings have something to do with it? I know encryption is only supposed to be applied to actual "chats", but it could be stopping you from adding buddies... worth a shot?

Also, are you using the same AOL servers across all the iChats (login.oscar.com or whatever)?

Encryption is not enabled and I am using the same server on all systems. Some were set to use "slogin.oscar.com", but I turned off SSL to make them the same as the system that does permit buddies to be added.

Back