iChat using Jabber to talk to someone on MSN

As far as I've read about it, users were successful this way (I don't know much about Jabber, so you might have to fiddle with everything yourself to make it work...):

- Get a Jabber account.
- Install some Jabber client.
- Add MSN's gateway to your Jabber account. (?)
- Get rid of the other Jabber client and add your Jabber account to iChat AV 3. The MSN contacts should now show up.

I'm not entirely sure whether this is a fully working solution. Seems to me that iChat's Jabber support is rather limited and aimed at being used with Mac OS X Server (which has a Jabber server) for both text and audio/video chat internally (i.e. throughout some offices).

I'm sure there'll be some howtos to be found soon. I've googled for "ichat jabber msn tiger" and found some results that might help you, too.

Well, I couldn't just leave it at that. ;) ... The following is copied from a user at spymac (read http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=169483 to see the discussion):

"- Jabber, the chat network newly supported by Tiger's iChat (iChat v3) supports contacts from other chat networks via so-called "gateways". iChat doesn't directly support gateways, but if you create the gateways with another Jabber client, then add your Jabber account to iChat, iChat will automatically imports all the MSN/ICQ/Yahoo/AIM contacts from the gateways you added. Sounds confusing, but it's quite simple. Here's how:

1. Download a standalone Jabber client. I used Psi, but others should work too. I will write the rest of the tutorial assuming you are using Psi.

2. Open Psi, and register for an account. Enter your designated name/pass. You'll need to enter a server; I used 2entwine.net, but most other Jabber servers should work. Leave the port alone. Once registered, click the Status menu and ensure that your are online.

3. Probe for services. In Psi, choose General --> Service Discovery. A dialog will come up showing you what services the server is capable of. Click browse, then right-click the service you want to use, then select. Enter your registration info for that service.

4. Quit Psi

And that's it! Open iChat, add your Jabber account with the same settings as Psi, open the Japper buddy list, and your non-AIM contacts will magically appear in iChat! :cool:"

Oh, I really didn't have the time to check our other forums lately. Thank you, Zammy-Sam. Please, let's all continue further discussion etc. in that other thread instead of this one.

I used Mercury RC10 instead....this app supports video also..less hassle than going thru all that stuff with Jabber....I'm still hoping to find one app that can talk to MSN and/or Yahoo having both audio and video ....so far video is the only support I get with Mercury or Yahoo messenger...

i still cant figure out how to use video with adium... I got a cool little picture of hobbs down in the corner instead of that damn duck...

Back