iCloud and me.com question

applemaz

Registered
I had a mac.com account at one time many years ago (lets call it xyz@mac.com) and then stopped paying for it. I still use the address xyz@mac.com as my iTunes account, but couldn't get email with it since I wasn't paying for the .mac service.

Fast forward to today. When I went to enable iCloud email, it told me to create a new email address ending with me.com. I tried to create xyz@me.com, but it told me the address was taken.

Did someone take xyz or is this really a situation where xyz is no longer available, because I had originally claimed it years ago as my mac.com address?

If the latter is true, can I contact apple and have them turn my xyz@mac.com address into the xyz@me.com address?

The quickest way to answer your question is, contact Apple yourself. Meanwhile ...

If you're not hung up on that particular email address, get a new free one (Gmail or whatever) and create a new Apple ID with that address. Then from iPhone, iPad or MacOSX 10.7+, set up iCloud using that ID. When that's done, you'll have access through iTunes and the App Store, if you're willing to cough up a credit card.

Last edited:
After what happened to Matt Honen of Wired Magazine this past week, I'm thinking having a non-working email address as my Apple ID and not attaching a credit card to my iTunes account is the more secure thing to do.

I'll probably just pick a new iCloud .me email address. Thanks for the info.

After what happened to Matt Honen of Wired Magazine this past week, I'm thinking having a non-working email address as my Apple ID ...

I hadn't heard about this. Scary, but it seems today that Apple et al have plugged several holes.

You can be the guinea pig for a non-working email. Let us know what happens, but I have trouble imagining that Apple will go along.

After what happened to Matt Honen of Wired Magazine this past week, I'm thinking having a non-working email address as my Apple ID and not attaching a credit card to my iTunes account is the more secure thing to do.

I'll probably just pick a new iCloud .me email address. Thanks for the info.

Whatever you do don't ever post your full email address on the Internet. Plus make an email alias in iCloud that doesn't look like a .me address. Lastly you can take a very old county saying to heart " Don't poke the animal and you won't get bit" about posting arguments to another on the internet. You never know if that person is secretly a vengeful hacker.

Back